Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Help installing evap core this weekend?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing evap core this weekend?!

Hello folks, I am a newbie on this forum, and a grease monkey at heart. I've built cars from the ground up and also worked on my own cars. Everything form a Chevy Vega to a Ferrari I've wrenched and owned. So when our beloved red V70 T5 was diagnosed with a bad evap core, I immediately thought "Hey a great chance to tear apart the Volvo!"

So I am hoping that I can get someone to join me in this endeavor this weekend in the Santa Cruz, CA area. I've never taken apart a Volvo dash before, and I was hoping some other brave sould (preferrably someone who has had experience in this) would be willing to help out someone who might go in over his head. I am told that it's a 8 hour job, but since I've never done this before, I figured I had better give it the weekend.

I'd enjoy the company and would provide all meals, drinks,and meaningless conversation as we dig into the depths of the car. So, please give a call or email and let me know if anyone would be interested. Thanks for considering!

mobile 831-234-0811

Old 06-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Default RE: Help installing evap core this weekend?!

This is as good as I can get you. I've heard they're a ROYAL pain in the butt to change. Most likely requiring the entire dash to be removed. There are a couple of how to's over at www.volvospeed.com so I'd look there for those instructions. Meanwhile, here's where it's located and attached to.

Oh and this may help too.

https://volvoforums.com/m_7365/tm.htm

Name:  evaporator.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  249.6 KB

Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Default Evaporator Core exchange - Pictures Galore! I did it myself.

Well, I posted this request a long time ago. No one came to help so I did the whole thing myself over the course of a weekend. I took a ton of pictures, but didn't get around to uploading them until now.

These pictures are roughly in order. I'll try to comment on each step, but that may take a while longer. I invite all the forum folks to add their words of wisdom to each of the steps they recognize, or just hints and tips.

Link to Album: Changing my Evap Core

Thanks for all the great information on the web about working on these cars. I am hoping to add my little contribution. Sorry it took so darn long.

P.S. The dealer diagnosis was wrong! After all this work, the evap core was NOT the problem. Oh well, I got a nice new evap core and a perfectly good spare if someone wants to buy it cheap. I guess I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Evaporator Core exchange - Pictures Galore! I did it myself.

Good pics.
Did you use my post at all that was link above?