Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Help! Need info regarding swapping engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In middle of engine swap now mechanic said might not work?

• Please need help from a Tech. I needed to replace the engine on a 1998 Glt s70 .I found a motor that was out of a 1999s70 non turbo. I asked at the repair shop if that would work.
  • They said yes they could just add the turbo from my car to that motor
  • I bought it now they are in the middle of the process of pulling and replacing . Now they are having problems and don't know if it is going to work There are some differences between the two.
  • Is there anything that can be done to make this work?
  • I have spent almost $1000. on this new motor. Yikes What to do now?
  • The mechanic said something about drilling a hole in the block for a hose to go through. that the new motor doesn't have? "I said don't do that just wait till I can find some info on this. Thank you for any help you can send my way Rhonda P.S. I can't afford to buy another motor. So any ideas as to any directions I can take on this?

Last edited by knightpony; 11-26-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: I want to change the title
Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to Volvo Forums.

Sad to say that those two motors are very different. First level is turbo/NA, second level is that Volvo made some major changes in the cams in '99 so they are not compatable.

If they mechanic told you that, maybe he should pitch in on the cost. What exactly was wrong with your motor in the first place to warrant a replacement? Maybe you can go to U-Pull-It (with the mechanic) and get a motor for $250.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knightpony
  • Please need help from a Tech. I needed to replace the engine on a 1998 Glt s70 .I found a motor that was out of a 1999s70 non turbo. I asked at the repair shop if that would work.
  • They said yes they could just add the turbo from my car to that motor
  • I bought it now they are in the middle of the process of pulling and replacing . Now they are having problems and don't know if it is going to work There are some differences between the two.
  • Is there anything that can be done to make this work?
  • I have spent almost $1000. on this new motor. Yikes What to do now?
  • The mechanic said something about drilling a hole in the block for a hose to go through. that the new motor doesn't have? "I said don't do that just wait till I can find some info on this. Thank you for any help you can send my way Rhonda P.S. I can't afford to buy another motor. So any ideas as to any directions I can take on this?
What rspi said and more..

If they told you that engine would work then they are liable for what you spent on it; they need to buy that '99 engine from you for what you spent on it.

Then find a reputable volvo indy shop in your area (hint: it ain't these guys!) and take your car there.