Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Help Needed - Brake Pad Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed - Brake Pad Change

I am sure most of this has been asked before but i have tried my best to read it all before posting.

I have a s70 1997 non turbo 2.4 (i am in the uk) and it is my favourite possesion in the world - it was my dads and was very well maintained by the dealer. I am doing all my own maintainance as it is an old car and i need to conserve money. I have some experience in maintainance - as i have a motorbike on which i do all my own work.

I need to change the brake pads on the car - i know this because its last service about 6 months ago i was told they woud need to be changed soon - and i have doen another 5k miles. They are also starting to squeak which i presume is not a good sign.

I have a few questions before i begin - i would like to be to fully prepared and do all the pads in an evevning as i need the car everyday for work.

1. is there a way of checking the pad wear initially without taking the wheel off?
2. How do i check if the discs need changing too? i have a caliper from work so i will try to measure the thickness tonight.
3. You all talk about the "emergency brake" when working on the brakes - is this the handbrake? as we call it in the uk?
4. I have ordered pads from a local supplier and they have not arrived yet - the guy says they dont need shims?! is this usually the case?
5. what is the best way of pushing the caliper piston back in? i was told a g-clamp would work?!

Can you think of anything else i require before i start......
The pads of course!
Jack and axel stands
7mm allen socket
Various sockets
Punch & hammer
grease (do i need silicolne or copper - i am sure my manual said copper)
wire brush
needle nose pliers

I look forward to your replies - any help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Help Needed - Brake Pad Change

Yes our Emergency brake is what you call hand brake.

Either that clamp will work fine or a pair of channel lock pliers(Big pair) will work fine as well.

Depending on what rims you have the pads can be inspected with the rims on.

Yes measure the rotors to see if they are at Min. specs. The front min specs are 23MM and the rears are 8.4MM.

Looks like you have things pretty well planned out already.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help Needed - Brake Pad Change

Yea... you definitely sound like you have everything under control. When I changed mine, I had never done it by myself before, and it wasn't too bad. You should be fine.