Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

High Mileage S70 GLT Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage S70 GLT Repair Questions

I have 1998 Volvo S70 GLT 2.4L Turbo. I have a few things i am unsure about and also unsure if these upgrades are worth the car.
The car has 191,XXX miles on it runs good(when it wants explained in a minute) and drives good.

I am replacing rear delta links, front struts, front control arms, inner and outer tie rods, a couple engine mounts, cv axle boot, remand trans, pcv system(complete) and in which most of has been done already.

The car recently has had starting trouble stuttering to a stall after a few times it starts and runs fine. Transmission seems to be slipping so i am getting a remand one. And the oil smells gassy and burns off on the head, my bad pcv system paired with a turbo going bad is most likely my case. Plugs and wires brand new within 5k miles. Hopefully the issues i have are related to the things i have listed in need of replacement please let me know your opinion!

Now for performance i was wondering if my compression comes up good with that many miles what can i do? Well here is what i was thinking:
Slightly larger turbo
Better Gasket Set
Larger Injectors/Better fuel pump and filter
Ignition Coil Upgrade
RIP Kit
Silicone Hoses
Less restrictive cat
ECU upgrade
IPD HD Ignition
IPD HD Turbo Control Valve

Installed
K&N style filter custom
custom glass-pack exhaust fit

Will my car having all this work come out good and be worth my money in the performance section?
Please let me know anywhere I'm wrong im sadly unexperienced with cars but wish to learn more!

Last edited by 19_Volvo_S70_GLT_98; 02-08-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM

Check out the trailing arm bushings also, they are really easy to check and are probably bad.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Default Delta Links

1. Originally Posted by TonyClifton
    Check out the trailing arm bushings also, they are really easy to check and are probably bad.
Yea they are totally blown out they are also reffered to as delta links listed already... They are so bad that it is metal on metal and are very loud. Getting those replaced first along with fron struts.

Also does anyone know what kind of injectors i can use for more fuel flow?
I seen Black Stallion with Ford 24lb racing injectors. Will those work?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks, I didn't know that

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like you are upside down in the car already. I don't understand what you mean by WORTH THE MODS??? That is an objective statement. If you are asking if you could EVER sell it and get your money back, NO.

As for what mods you should do??? That GLT is one of the fastest stock cars I know off the jump to 60 mph. What are you trying to accomplish? I have gotten very few tickets in my life and I have been pulled over more in our GLT than any other car. I have a ticket right now (i'm going to try to fight) for spinning tire from a dead stop.

I have never heard of anyone changing injectors to get better fuel flow.

You may want to go to Volvo Speed or Swede Speed to get some upgrade suggestions. Also, the 850 section has a few suggestions.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Sounds like you are upside down in the car already. I don't understand what you mean by WORTH THE MODS??? That is an objective statement. If you are asking if you could EVER sell it and get your money back, NO.

As for what mods you should do??? That GLT is one of the fastest stock cars I know off the jump to 60 mph. What are you trying to accomplish? I have gotten very few tickets in my life and I have been pulled over more in our GLT than any other car. I have a ticket right now (i'm going to try to fight) for spinning tire from a dead stop.

I have never heard of anyone changing injectors to get better fuel flow.

You may want to go to Volvo Speed or Swede Speed to get some upgrade suggestions. Also, the 850 section has a few suggestions.
Well by worth the mods i mean is it worth putting all that into the car with it having such high mileage. I have did some calling around for a port and polish for the heads and pretty much everyone said that these engines DONT wear. So therfore port and polishing the heads wouldnt do anything. And i had also asked the sam question doing these mods would the engine and trans handle it? I got basically the same answer "As long as your compression test comes back in check then go ahead!". And yes i love this car acceleration is pretty nice able blow away v6 camaro's all day.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Administrator

I can see doing a little to mod it but much more will be a waste because you won't be able to keep the tires on the ground.

I posted step by step instructions for doing a compression test. You can go here:
http://atthetipwebs.com/technologyin...ssion_test.htm

These engines don't wear??? Don't believe that. Skip a few oil changes, run 87 octane, use the wrong weight oil and you'll see wear in any car motor. Do the compression test and you'll see if the car is worth putting any money into it.

I love the S70, you can play with it some but don't waste to much money in it. Obama has steped up police patrol so they are writing tickets all day long. I have gotten more tickets in the past 18 months than the previous 30 years.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 AM

Time to inject some reality here.

1. Short of spending a LOT of time and money, a 4000lbs, FWD, 5 cylinder car will not qualify as "fast". Perhaps it can be quick, or have "highway muscle", but it won't win any drag races against anything remotely sporty, be it coupe, sedan, or hatchback.

2. If you're interested in having a FAST car, or something that can carve mountain roads, I'd get a different car.

3. This isn't to say you can't make a GLT quicker, but the "bang for the buck" is just not there. If you really want to see some significant gains, you're looking at an ecu upgrade (or stand-alone EMS), much bigger turbo, large front mount intercooler, t5r manifold or custom, 3" turbo back exhaust (a lot of people here seem to think a 3" down pipe to a 2.5" catback is a good idea, but that goes against every turbo exhaust upgrade rule I've heard/seen), upgraded fuel pump (walbro255 springs to mind), larger injectors, wide-band o2 sensor, a mess of gauges (boost, oil temp, exhaust gas temp, obviously air:fuel) upgraded igniting coil or COP setup... With the power you could tune from that, you'd need to upgrade the brakes and suspension, and likely the transmission as well.

I've done most of the above mods to my 2 previous cars, both were Eagle Talon TSi AWD from 92 and 93. The difference is, those parts are abundant and cheap for DSMs (talons, eclipses, lasers) and they're very expensive and difficult to procure for the S70.

Now, I'm not saying don't modify your car, I'm just tempering your expectations a bit.

With an ecu upgrade, 3"turbo back exhaust, FMIC, and some supporting mods, you'll have an s70 that's very fun to drive on a day to day basis, but it still won't be "FAST".

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What it comes down to is the old saying "How fast can you afford to go?". I think you'd be better off buying a 95 850 T5R.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by alecw81
Time to inject some reality here.
Reality, the S70 GLT is plenty fast enough to get you in trouble and hold it's own with almost every sporty street car produced off the line. With just a little bit of mod, one could spin the tires off the thing with less than $2,500 invested. I really don't think most people are trying to make their dd a drag racing car. I have heard of people taking these cars over 140 mph, that is a speed that I have never seen and is plenty fast for 99% of our population.

I agree, I would not purchase a 3,300 lb Volvo to turn into a 10 second street racer, but a fun to drive daily means of transportation that can surprise your youngster with a mildly modded honda civic or M3 Bimmer, sign me up.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Default Bang For Buck

Ok so revised to somthing more reasonable. Replacing the already dieing turbo with a slightly larger getting an ecu tune, some small upgrades (hd ignition coil etc.) i should have a much quicker s70 with that alone.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM

Fairly interesting thread. I don't know about you guys, but I consider a sub-200,000 mile Volvo to be low mileage, to begin with.

Also, why is the suspension and steering so jacked up on this car? Did someone enter it into a Rubicon event?

I have owned multiple 70 Series cars, and the worst I have ever had under 200,000 miles was strut mounts. Every one I have ever owned, needed strut mounts. Cheap, quick and easy fix, if you have the garage and tools. Now that I think of it, I may have put a lower control arm on one of them, but that is it.

Sounds to me like someone was pummeling this poor car. Obviously, as others have mentioned, it is not worth dumping Mods into, from a resale standpoint. But, is any vehicle project ever really worth it to anyone other than the guy building it? If you like the car, and you are enjoying what you are doing, go for it.

Tell us how it goes, and please post pics and results.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I agree, I don't consider this car high milage either. anything with less than 20,000 per year is on the average side of things.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rspi
Police actually showed up at my ticket trail. The judge asked him what I was driving and almost laughed when he said a '98 Volvo. So the judge asked if it was supped up and the police said NO. The judge looked at me and said, "You don't look like a guy that's going around driving wreckless, especially in an old Volvo. NOT GUILTY" Be safe.

Last edited by rspi; 02-23-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo