Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Just a thought on transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a thought on transmission fluid

First of all let me give you guys a bit of background on me and my theory. My name is James, im 25 and I'm a mechanic for a tire company here in the desert in California. Last Spring, I blessed my wife with a 2000 S70 non turbo, with the wonderful Aisin Warner 5speed auto transmission. I've always been the guy who defines meticulous, when it comes to maintainence, the best synthetic everything, heck if they made synthetic washer fluid, I'd have it. I have had a lot of good luck by being as meticulous as I am, I have even put more than 600,000 miles on an engine before. That being said, it wasn't too long after we got the Volvo that I wanted to change the transmission fluid. Now while I may be a cheap guy sometimes, for the most part, I have no problem buying proprietory items from the dealer. So while I was at the dealer picking up an oil filter, I asked for 5 quarts of the special fluid and a drainplug gasket. Immediately the salesman was like who's car is this? Cause we dont reccomend ever changing the fluid, it tends to make them F*ck up, and yes he used the F word. So I told him what it was doing, hard shifting when driving in traffic and its over 100 degrees outside, which happens quite often here. He then suggests a software update so I give him my vin and he says its not eligible, and then suggests an alkaline test of the fluid, for a princely sum of $110. So I turn it arround on him, so either my fluid is gonna be good and my tranny is on the way out, or my fluid is bad, I can't change it, so I need a new transmission.That was 6 months ago, and now, I'm itchng to change the transmission fluid again. So I've been doing some reasearch and making a lot of observation.

My first thought, "The 3309 Link". The only aftermarket fluid that says its meets the Volvo spec is Mobil 3309 fluid. This fluid also meets the requirement specified by other manufactuers who use an Aisin Warner automatic, including but not limited to: Toyota, Saab, Mazda and Ford. I would love to go buy 3309 fluid, but pretty much you have to get it through a distributor, or online. In some ways I'm old fashioned, I have never actually touched a bottle of the stuff, so the first time I buy, I want to touch. (What can I say, I'm a kid at heart.) If ,you look in the owners manual for the following cars/tranny combo 03+ Toyota Camry 5 or 6 speed A/W automatic, Mazda CX7, CX9 with 6speed A/W Automatic, they specify their Manufactuer specific fluid or one meeting the JWS3309 requirement. Kinda strange huh, JWS3309 specification and a fluis called 3309.

My second thought, "The most probable solution, may be the simplest". I have driven other manufactuer of cars, with a 5 or 6speed A/W automatic, and they have the same delay in to drive when hot, the same unique way of shifting and exibit the same shift charateristics when hot. Also, if you examine their fluid, they all seem to be a more purple color with a unique smell, the same as what seems to be in our Volvos.

Putting it all together, I do believe out Transmissions are unique, but not as much as you would think. The number one auto manufactuer in the world uses a similar unit in their bread and butter car the Camry. Mazda uses it in their new crossovers. The way dealerships scare people by adding the illusion of mysteriousness to these Trannys is totally decptive. They come in Toyota Camrys, it doesnt get more popular or american than that. So, this week, I'm going to my Toyota dealer, to buy some of their T-IV fluid specified for Aisin Warner Transmissions, and im going to drain and refil, and if it doesnt kill it, which it probally will not, im gonna do it again. I'm going to pay a more reasonable $5 a quart, and actually be able to buy it without being detered. I have no Idea what the Volvo stuff costs, they hinted at $17 a quart but again, they even tried to pretend they didn't have the fluid, not to sell it to me.

Does this sound decent to anybody else? Am I Crazy?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Just a thought on transmission fluid

Have you seen this post yet?
This fluid will work as well not sure exactly of the price but check it out.
https://volvoforums.com/m_35817/tm.htm
Read the entire post.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM

You know Tech, after reading that link, I am reminded of the old saying "no good deed goes unpunished". You took way too much unnecessary abuse. Good for you for treating it as "water off a duck's back." Good information though.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Thank You.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe we are still debating the Asin/Warner transmission fluid subject! As you know TECH, I use G.M. fluid (At a Volvo dealer as I do not want to dispose of 'used' fluid). Let's see now, I have had the fluid flushed twice now (less than 50,000 miles on odo) with no issues. Strange that the naysayers think we are in trouble...............sort of reminds me of the synthetic oil debate that began in the 70's. I'll let you know if I ever sustain transmission issues as I plan on keeping my c70.

r.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 PM

Tech, thank you for your polite reply and the link that makes me sleep that much better at night. I think perhaps this should be a sticky, seeing as I honestly think this is the only weak link on the the car, and the fact that even amougnst the dealers there is no "official" answer. But between your knowledge and my reasearch, its safe to say which fluids are 100% acceptable, and which are a so-so solution. While on the subject of fluids, how about the coolant, I would go buy the OEM stuff but the dealer has really rubbed me the wrong way. Is what I use in my Mercedes similar or good enough? I use Zerex G-05 seeing as they are the OE supplier, it is glycol based, but supposed to have better corrosion inhibitor packages, and not rust based like the GM Dontcool.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator

The Volvo coolant is Regular coolant.
From the factory back in the day it was Blue.
Most Dealers don't even stock the coolant in the Volvo bottles anymore it is to expensive.
Most just buy Pyrol of something like that and use it.

Me I would just buy a decent Name brand and go from there.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 PM

Went to the Toyota dealer today, between my shops diso****, and my buddies girlfriends discount, $3.21 per quart for T-IV fluid, what a bargain! Drained it cold and put 3 quarts back in, supprisingly very little debris on the drainplug, especially for 91k miles. Immediate noticable differance in shift quality, still a little flare when the fluid got hot, but then went down, maybe it "learned" the new fluid. heh heh heh. I'm gonna drain n refill a couple more times, and heck for less than $10, I'm gonna just change it every oil change! I should totally arrange a group buy, anyone else got it that cheap before?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF at 34 and 65,000 miles, and mine shifts very nicely.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM

We use the Penzoil Multi Vehicle ATF at work for most transmission flushes, seeing as it works great on anything but a Honda, Hondas we have to add an additional friction modifier to it for it to work properly. I considered the fluid, but when I consulted Penzoil's own literature, idecided otherwise. It defines our fluid, as TIV, as well as the other Aisin Warners that use it. But it says Toyota, Mazda, GM are ok to use multi Vehicle, but Saab, Ford and Volvo as dealer only. Doesn't sound right to me, but I'm not going to use it if it says not to.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 PM

In talking about ATF it is fundamental to identify the particular transmission first. I believe DontaviousJones has a five speed AW transmission and the use of a JWS-3309 fluid is thus essential. RPMCanes, however, I believe has a four speed AW50-42 transmission that calls for an ATF that meets both Dexron II E and Ford Mercon standards (However Volvo, in TNN 40-04, also recommends using JWS-3309 ATF in this transmission when necessary to address harsh lock ups and a squeaking noise during low speed turns).

Bill

Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Yes, I do have the pesky AW 5speed auto, hence all the fluid discussion. On an update, I have dranied and refilled 3 times now, and it just gets better and better each time I drive, I guess it has to adapt to the new fluid. On a side note, does anyboy know if there are adapters out there so that an external cooler can be added?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM

New to Volvo got a 2000 V70 T5 non turbo I love this car but have noticed some strange trans shifts from time to time. To me it seams more like a mount issue and Volvo calls the trans mount a torque mount any thoughts about mount or trans fluid or trans issues? By the way check all mounts and they and they are good replaced upper the one on the trans looks aged for lack of a better term. I would love any thoughts.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The transmission mount at the bottom of the motor/trans does cause hard shifting. It was the case in our S70 GLT. Smoothed shifting out a lot with the ipd hd mount (but did add a little vibration).

If you have a T5 your car is turbo. Who told you that it was not turbo?
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-i-have-52219/