Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Need help with 1st A/C job ever in a Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 1st A/C job ever in a Volvo

Before I go into what I need help you should know that I have been doing repairs like timing belts, a/c, exhaust, electrical, etc....for about 15 years as a hobby on my cars. My cars only go to the shop when it is something like a head gasket that I will pay someone to not have back pain with. I've worked on several Japanese cars and a few US models. I've never done anything with a Volvo except ride in one.

SO.....a friend of mine has a 99 S70 that is blowing warm air.

I have not yet checked it out but I'll start with the usual stuff:

Check if the compressor comes on.
If not check pressure switch.
Check if system is leaking anywhere it is oily in the system.
If okay run a hot wire to the compressor.
Check gauges to observe pressure differential on low/high side
etc...

I do not know the full details of if it is always blowing warm constantly, during acceleration, at idle, etc....

My questions are:
1. What is the capacity of the system?
2. Is it best to go from under the car to change the compressor and filter (if needed)?
3. Where is the best place besides the dealer to buy the filter?

The compressor went out on this car 3 years ago and he had a used one installed but now he says it's gone again.

I am thinking the shims are at fault and the clutch is slipping but I have to see if the clutch is catching and rotating with the belt properly.

4. BTW, where do I remove tension from the belt in this car? It is a non-turbo. Is there is spring loaded idler pulley or do I have to pivot an accessory like the alternator?

5. I have heard the filter is a real PITA to work on. Any tricks/tips to make life easy?

Thanks.

Last edited by texan_176; 05-06-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

1. 1.63LBS
2. Under the car it will slide off once the dryer is out of the way.
3. Try FCPgroton.com
4. There is a spring loaded tensioner on the side of the motor like between the power steering pump and crank. The square hole is a 3/4 drive hole but it is kind of hard to get to I bought the adapter years ago.

5. The dryer is really not all that bad. Well to me anyway. Worse is getting the screw line off. But if the compressor has been done lately already then should not be that bad.

Also I made a post about reshimming the compressor in the 850 section. If the clutch needs shimming the compressor will work good and blow cold for a while then basically over heat and disengage.