Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

new to me 98 s70 and lots of problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 98 s70 and lots of problems

ok guys and gals, i bought my first volvo Tuesday - a 1998 s70 turbo with auto transmission and approx 100k miles on it. well actually, i traded a 1988 suzuki samurai for it. it's a nice car with minor exterior and interior blemishes. while test driving it, i noticed the abs, srs, and service engine lights illuminated, as well as a non-functioning speedo. i questioned the salesman and was told that it was a speed sensor and that the PO was quoted $300 to fix it. He also told me that the only problems it caused is the lights to come on and the speedo to stop and start intermittently. (yeah, right). i drove it for about an hour with no problems and decided to bite. about half way home (30 minutes later) i noticed a new light glowing and after going over some bumpy railroad tracks a horrible rattling from what seems like all 4 corners of the car. this new light is an arrow pointing up and would appear and disappear randomly. no problems i thought, its still driving fine. then i come to a red light and the car is VERY sluggish on take off. well, i limped it the rest of the way home with it taking off in the wrong gear and immediately googled my problems. i found a faulty pnp switch can cause the car to go into winter mode, so i spent the better half of Wednesday morning removing and cleaning the pnp switch (which was surprisingly easy). i go for a test drive and am still having the same problems. after doing more research on google, i think the culprit may be the abs module. i ordered the e5 torx socket at my local parts house and will tackle this job early next week. i am hoping this will fix my transmission woes. i am also going to be replacing the shocks/struts very soon. is there a complete kit available for doing all 4 or do i have to buy them separately? also, i know this is a noob question but what kind of suspension is in the rear? is it a strut like the front? does the suv spring seat upgrade only work on the front? i will also be replacing and cleaning the pcv system because i am getting a strong burnt oil smell through the vents and around the engine after driving. i doubt it has ever been done and i hope this will help with the odor. since i just bought it, i don't know how much oil it is actually burning. for those who have done this, what is the best kit to buy? i read that some of them don't use quality parts. on a positive note though, when i got the car from the Cadillac dealership i was told that it wasn't turbocharged and since i couldn't see it when we popped the hood, i didn't know any better. it was only yesterday when taking everything apart that i realized it. if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, or comments on any of the projects i have planned, please post them. thanks
carson

Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Carlson, welcome to VolvoForums.

I would suggest that you tackle the tranny problem before you start dumping money into it. The car is dropping it into "limp home mode" to protect the tranny. Change the fluid first, then you may have to change the PNP switch. No use dumping a lot of money into it just to learn you need a tranny.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM

well I don't really think its a tranny problem. Because its intermittent, I feel like its an electrical problem. I removed the pnp switch and cleaned and replaced it but am still having the same symptoms. I read online that the abs module can also make the car go into winter mode so I will be tackling that project next. Also the abs and brake lights are on in the car.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would fix the ABS module solder joints first, esp. if you're going to DIY; relatively cheap.

I have not heard that could affect the trans module, but then, you'll tell us.

Sounds like you've been doing your research; good for you! Let us know if you need more info/advice. I've got a whole wish list for you when you're ready to do the suspension..

Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by gdog
I would fix the ABS module solder joints first, esp. if you're going to DIY; relatively cheap.

I have not heard that could affect the trans module, but then, you'll tell us.

Sounds like you've been doing your research; good for you! Let us know if you need more info/advice. I've got a whole wish list for you when you're ready to do the suspension..
yeah, i'm going to do the abs module on Monday. while doing my research, i found that the abs module malfunctioning can cause the vehicle to automatically switch between the S A W modes. i am going to start ordering parts soon for the suspension so post up that wish list

Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carson84
i am going to start ordering parts soon for the suspension so post up that wish list
This assumes you want close-to-stock ride but better. Obviously your preferences will need to be taken into account but this is from my perspective. The Bilstein TCs will give you slightly firmer than stock ride with very good control. If you're more into race car ride you can go with the HDs but a bit too stiff for the street IMO.

Here's your suspension wish list:
  1. Front struts: Bilstein TCs (2); P/N 106237; $128.76 ea. That's actually pretty good price but shop around when you're ready to buy for best deal. At min get them w/10% discount; I paid $311 for all four (2 frnt, 2 rear) at AJ-USA.
  2. Rear shocks: Bilstein TCs (2): P/N 106238; $60.59 ea.
  3. IPD HD upper spring seats for front struts (2): P/N 112831; $50 ea. Replace these whether they look bad or not; these chronically break on these cars; replace while in there. If not this P/N go with this OE part for XC90; do NOT use cheap aftermkt parts here!
  4. Safety Option (1 kit): P/N 109445; $395; makes your car really fun to drive too! Again buy when on sale; in May I think is their garage sale; 10% off.
  5. Four wheel alignment: approx $80. Have your suspension ckd out before you do any/all of above; take care of any other suspension components (ball joints, tie rods, etc.) at same time as above so you only have to do alignment once..
BTW: both my vehicles have this setup.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Gents
I too have just purchased a 1998 s70 t5 and I have an oil leak that I cannot locate the source, I removed the spark plug cover to find the area under it FULL of oil. Also I could not find the PVC/Flame Retarder hose or the valve to clean it out. Does the turbo model have a different location that the Chilton Manual does not show? I need all the help I can get as there is no way I can afford Shop Time!!
Thanx, s70fanman