Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

New Owner with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner with Questions

Greetings all. I just purchased a used 1999 S70 AWD in silver, and after paging through the forum I still have a couple of questions that I need to ask. I am new to the Volvo world, but not new to modding cars or FI (My soon to be non-daily driver). So, my questions:

1. I have a CEL. I pulled the codes using the reader found here: OBD Diagnostics. I've used it on both my VW and Toyota with no problems before. Before pulling the code, the idle was hunting between 700~950 RPM. When I started the OBD application the dome light dimmed twice. This seemed odd to me. The code I pulled was P1171, which upon research looks to be the MAF. I cleared the code, and today it is running really rough. My wife, taking it to be emissioned, has called and said that upon turning on the car, shifting it into reverse or drive results in no movement. Putting it into neutral, then into one of the drive positions seems to get it working. Could this be the result of a bad MAF? Any other thoughs on what could be causing this?

2. I came across a post stating that the Throttle Body recall was extended to 200,000 miles. I also came across posts that stated the recall was to 10 years or 100,000 miles. Anyone have a link to a recall site that I can verify this?

3. I saw a post regarding the swapping of headlights from a C70. What is the difference between the two setups?

4. Dumb question: Where would a stock CD Changer be located in this car? I want to put one in, but I want to make sure that the mounting brackets and wiring are there first.

5. Any things or advice from anyone else?

Thanks!

Ian

Edit: One last question: Does anyone have a site that I can look up the VIN number and get the build information?

Old 02-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: New Owner with Questions

1. The CD changer should be in the trunk on the drivers side. The braket etc... should be there if anywhere in the car. Right near the drivers side taillight entry point to access the bulbs.

2. I don't know of any recall site, but your ETM will need replaced. How many miles are on your car? My ETM went at about 75k miles. Your MAF could be bad, and also it could be your ETM starting to go. If a ETS light comes on and stays on your ETM is bad must be replaced by Volvo and Volvo only and will cost $1k or so if not covered under the warranty.

3. Why would you wanna swap to the C70 lights? I do not think they are different. http://www.vptuning.com they sell some upgraded headlights for the 70 series cars. Also http://www.fcpgroton they sell the E-code turn signals and headlamps for great prices and they look great too.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the response. I have 106K on the car. It's going in on Tuesday to be looked at. The dealer may do the throttle body at that time. I've learned from another post that the C70 headlight conversion is actually to the later model look with the jewel lenses. They look pretty nice. Thanks for the sites!!

Old 02-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Might be the Massflow sensor. But usually the up and down Idle means Ditry/Bad throttle body.
That shouldn't make the car not move if it is running. Have you checked the Trans fluid?

The throttle body Extended warranty is 10 Years 200,000 miles.

The headlights should bolt in with no problems at all.

Yes the stock changer should bolt in the trunk on the drivers side. It would be easier to pull the radio and see if the wiring is by the radio. I have seen some prewired and some not.

For some more sites check out in the General section I made a post with "Links to sites"

Old 02-27-2006, 02:30 PM

Our 98 S70 T-5 was prewired for the CD changer in the trunk, even though we don't have it. I used the Blitzsafe Aux input device to hook my Sirius Sat radio into the changer port. It works great!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM

Thanks all! I dropped it off with the dealer and they said the code is definitely the result of a bad MAF. They're in the process of repairing some other items, so I'm without the Ovlov for a couple of days...driving a Ford Focus sedan loaner for the time being [:@]. I would have had it back sooner, but they broke something on my transfer case that they need to order in. I've looked for the CD Changer harness, but haven't been able to find anything. I like the idea of hooking up sat radio though. Thanks for the idea!

Old 03-09-2006, 03:05 PM

No problem. I just wish they made one for my 2000 Outback. :-(