Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance upgrades?

hello im a noob if you couldnt tell, and i am a volvo lover, they have been my only vehicles! although im only 18 and i have my first car still .
well i have a non-turbo 1998 S70 and i was looking through the forums and i saw that lots of people on here dont reccomend turbocharging the engine, i dont really want to get rid of my car, i love it too much i mean its my first car!! but i want it to go faster in a straight line, is there much that i could do to my car (without breaking the bank) to make it faster? im not planning anything soon but i am just wondering for future reference, if i cant i wont bother fixing up my handling and buying other parts for it.
thankyou so much for any help

Old 12-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: performance upgrades?

Don't put any more $ into your first car. Savor the memories. When it's time to get another one find a good used GLT or better yet a T5.

Remember, with gas prices where they are, speed isn't everything.

If you can't wait, a cheap small upgrade to a K & N air filter is quick and may add minimal benefits.

Rick

Old 12-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a K & N Airfilter in it, tint the windows, upgrade the stereo (if you are into that), nicer wheels?, rear spoiler (if it doesn't have one) and leave it at that. First of all you're only 18 and the less power you have the better off you are, because I don't care what anyone says, unless your last name happens to be Unser or Andretti, at 18 you don't have the driving experience to handle more powerful vehicles and secondly, the insurance will eat you alive.

The above is the expressed written opinion of the author and in no way reflects the way he drove at 18.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to beat S70Driver on this one? [8D]

Even though it's your first car, if you want more performance, without breaking the bank, sell it and get a T-5. It's the only way to go.It takes time and money to turbo a non-turbo car. S70Driver can fill you in on what's necessary, but it's definitely not cheap or easy.

N/A Volvo's don't really lend themselves to performance upgrades, especially when it's so easy to find one already Turbo'd as a starting point.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I would stay clear of performance modifications for your your s70. As you said your N/A. You cannot do much to your N/A without breaking the bank.

1. Turbocharging It...
a. Turbo
b. Downpipe
c. Catback System
d. Intercooler
e. Intercooler Hard Pipes
f. Vaccum Lines
g. Couplers
h. Hose Clamps or T-bolt Clamps
i. Water or Oil Lines for the Turbo
j. Boost gauge one that can read 25 In Hg / 25 PSI
k. ECU Tuning, biggest part of the whole deal. And to do it right dyno tuning would need to be done.
l. ETC....

2. Minor Mods...
a. K&N panel filter, or custom CAI of some kind (2-5 Hp max)
b. Catback system of some kind 2.25"-2.5" max (5-10 Hp max)
c. N/A ECU upgrade (5-20 Hp max)

Yeah you can do these few monds and gain some power, but unless you dyno after each one or after all of them are installed you wont truly know if you gained or lost anything.

IMO and in a lot of other peoples minds it is just easier to sell your N/A and buy a turbo model. Plus with the turbo models there are more options out there for performance mods.

Now if you don't want to sell and buy a turbo model and you want to do some mods other then engine mods then I would suggest...

Suspension
a. IPD USA sway bars
b. Lowering springs or Coilovers
c. Heavy Duty IPD USA sway bar endlinks or the QBM Extreme Endlinks with boots
d. Strut brace
e. Shocks/Struts

Brakes
a. Slotted rotors
b. Drilled rotors
c. Slotted/Drilled rotors
d. BBK (Big Brake Kit, 17"+ wheels will be needed)
e. SS Brake lines

Exterior
a. E-code headlights lenses and turn signals
b. ABM Chrome or Black projector headlights and turn signals
c. HID's
d. 17" to 18" rims and tires
e. S70R/V70R front spoiler
f. HEICO front spoiler exstentions (I have these on my car)
g. Window tint
h. Rear lid spoiler if you like that sort of thing
i. Mesh grille or eggcrate style grille
j. Headlight eyebrows

Interior
a. New wood or other material dash
b. Ipod adapter
c. If your leather a leather steering wheel wrap from IPD USA
d. Redo the interior lighting with LEDS.
e. Aluminum lock *****
f. Cluster trim rings

*And of course audio if your into that sort of thing.

You can make your car handle and look awesome. However with N/A's your basically stuck with a stock motor or slightly modified motor which wont produce gobs of Hp. Unless you want to spend lots of money to custom turbo your N/A or SuperCharge it.