Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance upgrades

Ok my budget is around $5000. I have a 2002 S60 2.4t AWD. This is actually my first Volvo and i do have to say i will never own another vehicle. Except my 1500 custom Hemi.
Any way just wanted to know what you guys thought about this.
1st Purchase
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...S60-en-kit-24t
Ok now that's $1885 gone, now i have $3115.
Any other ideas on performance or maybe a body kit??
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Performance upgrades

Welcome to the forum. And let me just say I wish I were in your shoes.
That is an awesome start. I would probably concentrate on suspension and brakes now. Maybe QBM endlinks, an IPD anti-sway bar, Koni adjustables and some lowering springs. Bigger and better brakes. Save the rest for tires.[8D]

You can really burn your cash quickly on body kits so that's why I (me) would pass on that. If anything I would track down some newer style headlights, the ones that are completely clear and maybe the R front bumper.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Body kit, lowering springs (coil over if you can afford it). New exhaust system, wheels? The possibilities are endless, even if you pocket book is.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the ideas i had no idea about all that stuff. I can get all of that stuff from IPD. Any ideas on wheels and tires? Right now i have 17" on the car with what i believe to be all season tires.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 PM

And the second question is where can i get the clear headlights from? Also are there any modification for putting on the R front bumper, and where can i get one of those?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I already answered your question about the EST Stage 2 kit in your other thread that I moved to the s60 section. So for info about that go to that thread.

I agree forget the bodykit for right now and stay tuned for Engine and suspension mods.

Suspension Mods

1. IPD USA sway bars. This is by far the best suspension mod you can do to your Volvo. Highly recommended.

2. Heavy Duty (HD) sway bar endlinks. I suggest either IPD's version or QBM's Extreme Endlinks with boots.

3. Lower springs. This includes coilovers. If you got the cash to spend I would get KW Coilovers, you can't go wrong with these. If you want something cheaper get normal lowering springs which be good as well, just not what coilovers are.

4. Strut tower brace. This is just a nice thing to have and also gives some nice under the hood flare as well.

*Nothing in the Volvo aftermarket world is cheap and even with a heavty $5k to spend it will be going going gone in no time flat. I could spend $5k right now on my s70 in parts, but I'm not going to. It would take me less then an hour to purcahse $5k worth of parts for my Volvo.

Brakes

If your going to be going faster your going to want to brake quicker and better. And since your running 17" rims currently that means you can easily add a BBK (Big Brake Kit) to your car. If you don't want to go that route get some nice drilled, slotted or drilled/slotted rotors and some nice brake pads. You could do a 302 brake upgrade as well.

--------------

Clear headlights can you be more specific? Where have you seen these clear headlights?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:18 PM

The clear headlights was a suggestion in the post above. I appreciate you opinion i this matter. Right now i'm in the information gathering mode before i get my lump some of money. I was thinking about going with a bigger turbo but i don't want a time bomb on my hands and then have to replace one thing after another.
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM

I looked for KW Coilovers and found nothing for my car. Any ideas?
2002 Volvo S60 2.4t AWD

Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: madvolvo

The clear headlights was a suggestion in the post above. I appreciate you opinion i this matter. Right now i'm in the information gathering mode before i get my lump some of money. I was thinking about going with a bigger turbo but i don't want a time bomb on my hands and then have to replace one thing after another.
Thanks for the info.
It looks like your model Volvo uses the same turbo as mine, which is a 13g. If your planning on upgrading a 16T would be a great upgrade and it wont blow your engine up either. If you plan to go bigger then a 16T then you need to start thinking about internals.

I looked for KW Coilovers and found nothing for my car. Any ideas?
2002 Volvo S60 2.4t AWD
1. http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-S60-su

2. http://www.vivaperformance.com/catal...products_id=98

You didn't look hard enough, because I found two sites that have them. Not to mention that these two sites are listed in the VolvoForum Resources thread which is PINNED in every part of this forum basically. https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm
also look at this thread below
https://volvoforums.com/m_65537/tm.htm

Sorryif I came off rude, I'm not trying to be. I'm trying to make you a well educated forum member.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clear headlights comment was made by me. On the 01-05 models with halogen lights, they used glass with ridges. It reminds me of 80s style headlights. If you have the xenon lights you probably don't know what I am talking about. All of the newer models 06+ have crystal clear, smooth lenses (hence I referred to them as clear). It just gives it an updated, refined look. You can find 06+ headlights fairly cheap on ebay. You'll pay a little more for the xenon lights. Then you can sell your current ones to recoup some of the money. The same can be done for an R bumper. ebay.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 PM

No you didn't come off rude. I'm a Marine and it takes a lot to get to me.
Thanks for the link on the coilovers, wow they are expensive. I'm assuming that at that price it's for all 4 wheels and will make a huge difference in ride performance? I like the fact that they are adjustable. So i can adjust the height of the lift.
Thanks for your time and help with my research.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Also i don't show that the 16T turbo is compatible with my 2.4t. It has the 2.3t t5 but not mine. Any ideas or am i just a newbie at this?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM

No you didn't come off rude. I'm a Marine and it takes a lot to get to me.
Thanks for the link on the coilovers, wow they are expensive. I'm assuming that at that price it's for all 4 wheels and will make a huge difference in ride performance? I like the fact that they are adjustable. So i can adjust the height of the lift.
Thanks for your time and help with my research.
No problem

Coilovers give a nice performance upgrade over regular lowering springs. Might be a harsher ride, but your getting so much more with coilovers.

Also i don't show that the 16T turbo is compatible with my 2.4t. It has the 2.3t t5 but not mine. Any ideas or am i just a newbie at this?
To be honest you can strap any turbo you like onto your car. Garrett, Mitsubishi, TurboTechnics, Etc... Some will take modifications other wont.

Right now your car is using the 13g Straight flanged turbo. All you would need to do is purchase a 16T straight flanged turbo. It should fit right on. You would then need to upgrade your downpipe of course and your catback system. And an ECU upgrade to take full advnatage of the new parts.