Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance Upgrades

I'm a bit new to the performance world of S60 volvos...I've done some research but I wouldn't mind some feedback from people. whats really worth the money when it comes to performance on these cars?

Old 04-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: performance Upgrades

1. Welcome

2. What is your budget?

3. Are you turbocharged or NA?

4. What is your Hp goal?

Please answer these questions before I get into mods.

Thank you

Old 04-24-2007, 05:05 PM

ok..I have about 2-3 grand.
and its a 2001 volvo s60 2.4 T

Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: niox229

ok..I have about 2-3 grand.
and its a 2001 volvo s60 2.4 T
Awsome we have something we can work with.

1. Complete STAGE ZERO. Which can be found here in this thread, https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm

2. Get a boost gauge. One that can read at least 25 In Hg/25 PSI. You can purchase a decently price boost gauge from, http://www.egauges.com Autometer makes very nice gauges and that is the brand I am running.

3. Once your up to par with STAGE ZERO make an appointment with a dyno and get some baseline figures with A/F ratios. This will let you know where you stand stock. You may know the numbers from the factory but that doesn't mean what your actually making. Also this will set you off into the mod world with a better idea of what is going on with your car.

4. A exhaust upgrade is a good way to start off. 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system with a FREE FLOWING CAT and FREE FLOWING straight through design muffler like a Magnaflow. Flowmaster use baffles which hinder a turbochangred cars performance. So any FREE FLOWING straight through design muffler will do the trick for you.

5. Upgrade to a bigger turbo. I don't know what turbo your running now, but going to a bigger one will give you more perofrmance. If you do decide to upgrade your turbo to something bigger I recommend that you upgrade the catback system to 3" instead of 2.5". This is to allow more flow out of the engine which is needed.

6. Upgrading your OEM intercooler to an FMIC system is a great upgrade as well. The OEM intercooler works, but isn't as effeicent as it could be. An FMIC will be much much better then your OEM intercooler.

7. Truly there are no real intake for Volvo's. BMC CDA makes a few intake as does EST (EuroSportTuning). You could make a custom CAI if you wanted to, but that is up to you. The stock intake is actually a very good setup and by replacing the OEM filter with a brand new OEM filter and or a K&N filter (Panel style) will be a great little upgrade as well.

8. After you have done these mods or the mods you want to do. I suggest doing a second dyno run to see where you have gone. From stock to the new upgraded system. You will gain performance for sure and dyno will let you know how much you have gained. Also get A/F ratios with this dyno run.

9. ECU tuning. This is one of the most important steps. Many companies out there that can tune your ECU. I suggest RICA as they can tune your ECU to your mods and to what your dyno sheets say. This is why getting A/F ratios is so important as the dyno tuner will need them.

10. Dyno again with A/F ratios after the ECU upgrade. You should be very happy. I would also suggest getting a Wideband 02 gauge.

*That's a good start for engine mods.

Lets move onto suspension mods.

1. IPD Sway bars. This is about the best suspension mod you can do to your Volvo. I had them on my 1995 850 NA and was very pleased.

2. Lowering springs. There are a few different brands to choice from. I believe there is even a nice coilover system as well out there for your ride. Coilovers would be the best option to lower your car, but are very exspensive. Regular lowering springs are decently priced.

3. Strut Brace. This is just a nice little add on to the suspension system. Looks nice under the hood as well.

4. QBM (QuickBrickMotorSports) Extreme Endlinks. These are a wonderful add on to your IPD Sway bars. Better then any other HD endlink out there.

5. Shock/Struts. Another great suspension mod that will make your car feel wonderful on the road.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:35 PM

I have an 03 2.4 Natural. Is there anything I could do to it??

THanks

Old 04-25-2007, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: gfreeman9mm

I have an 03 2.4 Natural. Is there anything I could do to it??

THanks
If you make a thread I will tell you.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM

I can't seem to see how to read stage zero. it seems its a bad link.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: niox229

I can't seem to see how to read stage zero. it seems its a bad link.
Then go to VOLVOSPEED. Go to the PERFORMANCE section and read the PINNED thread.