Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Plastic snap on coupling for heater core assembly, help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic snap on coupling for heater core assembly, help...

Hi guys,

I have been working on replacing a heater core on a volvo s70, and I am particularly confused about a few things now. First of all, I dis assembled everything. Got the bad heater core out, disconnected the heater hoses from the interior of the car and engine bay.

Now, I know how to reinstall the new heater core, and I ordered two new o-rings that go directly into the heater core housing itself, however I am mainly confused about the total number of o-rings I should have.

I know the heater hoses that go into snap on coupling needs to have two plastic washers, and four o-rings total, two rubber o-rings for each hose and one plastic washer.

I can't seem to find the plastic washers anywhere, and I need to replace those seeing as how they broke apart when I pulled them out. I noticed they include two plastic washers and four o-rings in an "o-ring kit" but I don't know if that's all I need. I went to the volvo dealership yesterday and he told me that it would be a good idea to replace the snap on coupling, and that they include the necessary plastic washers and o-rings seated inside.

I really have no idea what to do, the car has been sitting for a month now and I need to get it back up and running by Tuesday.

When I pulled those heater hoses out from the interior engine wall, I noticed an additional 2 plastic washers spilling out. I just want to know if there is some secret plastic washers seated inside the snap on coupling, and if it really is an absolute necessity to replace the entire unit altogether just for those two plastic washers. And if I decide to not replace the coupling, what would the consequences be if I just replace the heater hose o rings and put the new heater core in without touching the snap on coupling.

Also, how in the world am I supposed to pull the snap on coupling out, do I need a flat head screw driver to pry it out? The problem is, is that the gas pedal and heater core area is blocking it pretty good so I don't have any leverage or room to give it a good jolt to loosen it up.

Thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Plastic snap on coupling for heater core assembly, help...

OK it you just want to try replacing the o-rings only for the coupler I would buy this kit and throw all your old ones away and install the new ones. There is less also because the plastic snap part is thicker.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...category_id/66

If you want to replace the coupler it will look like this.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...category_id/66

If you go the coupler way you can easily remove the gas pedal to get to the coupler. Since the heater core is out then you can remove the plate from in the engine compartment then the pipes and coupler will come out from inside. You might also have to remove the gas pedal bracket as well as the pedal itself.

If i missed something please remind me.