Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Questions on 98 S70

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on 98 S70

I am looking at possibly buying 1998 S70 non turbo and was wondering if anyone has owned this vehicle and how they feel about it? I've seen mixed reviews and complaints ranging from bad abs unit, problems with headlights, to front end repairs and front end issues.

Are these all common problems to this model and year? If they are corrected once do they usually fail again or once fixed there is never an issue again? Any thoughts and shared experiences are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:16 AM

It may not exactly apply to your situation, but I just recently bought a '98 S70 T5. Car is in really good shape for the year and mileage, but I have had to replace/repair a few things. I'm not done yet, either. I have so far done rear pads, rotors, parking brake shoes and hardware. Still have to adjust the parking brake. I have replaced both CV shafts due to the fact the boots were ripped, and installed new seals while I was at it. Next up was the replacement of the power steering rack because of a seal leak, then it needed an alignment, of course. Also, I have a heater core on deck just in case. It's a common problem with these cars. Plan on doing a timing belt service if you don't have any documented proof of it being done. I have proof that mine was done, but it was in '06 @63k miles, so I'm out on time. Belt looks good, but I'm doing it anyway. Volvo recommends a seven year, 70k change interval.

I also have a few little trim bits that need to be replaced, a headlight, a fog lamp, and a marker lens, just because I'm a neurotic SOB. Don't let this scare you. It's a really nice car for it's age. It just needs a little sprucing up. These cars drive really nice, and in my case, have plenty of power. The mid range torque this thing produces is quite surprising. I just wish I had found a stick. I hate automagics.

Just keep in mind that you WILL have to do some maintenance to the car if you buy it. It is 17 years old. It helps if you turn wrenches and are willing to put some time in it.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Default Volvo s70

I just bought mine in July, a '98 S70. It runs well, but, I've had the timing belt (complete assembly) replaced, the alternator, the battery, all four light bulbs on all corners, and need to get the ABS replaced as well. It's a work in progress, but, it's running well.

another thing you should look out for is it intermittently looses power while you are driving. It's happened to me twice since I got it. I understand it has something to do with the fuel relay. I've got to have that checked out.

Also, with no ABS, the cruise and the speedometer don't work, so be sure the mileage is as close to accurate as you can get. Mine works, again, intermittently.

I like my car, and want to keep it, so, I'll have to get used to the maintenance. I've found they are a bit temperamental, as well. I'm in hopes that eventually, I'll have it to a point to where it's more "general maintenance" rather than what I'm having to do now....

Good luck, man!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by njnick
I am looking at possibly buying 1998 S70 non turbo and was wondering if anyone has owned this vehicle and how they feel about it? I've seen mixed reviews and complaints ranging from bad abs unit, problems with headlights, to front end repairs and front end issues.

Are these all common problems to this model and year? If they are corrected once do they usually fail again or once fixed there is never an issue again? Any thoughts and shared experiences are greatly appreciated.
These are great cars if you do most of your own work. There are lot of tutorials and videos to help you along the way. The issues you mentioned above are common to any 15+ year old car.

Here is a pre-purchase video, add to the list of concerns is the heater core as mentioned above. I tends to sneak up on people and blows their motor. Simple $40 and 30 minute fix.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 PM

Thanks so much for all your guys input and posting those videos! That's really awesome of that guy who made the super informative videos on YouTube. I went and looked at the car tonight and unfortunately it wasn't in nice enough of condition that I wanted to buy it. It had the issue with the pcv system and it had the issue with the abs box plus it smelled like transmission fluid while driving it