Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Quick tip for 5 speed automatics

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Quick tip for 5 speed automatics

Do you ever notice how sometimes when you are slowing down for a turn, you brake, steer, and then whenever you finish turning you go to gently press the gas to gently continue on your way and BAM! the car revs to like 2100 rpm and then after a while it finally shifts to 3rd and immediately shifts to 4th?

It especially happens when you're going downhill as you turn. Basically, whenever you press the brake pedal, the transmission downshifts at higher speeds than if you weren't pressing the brake pedal. So, whenever you slow down for a turn, especially on a downhill, the car will downshift to 2nd gear as you come down to 15 mph, and then when you go gently accelerate again, you can't because the car is in such a low gear.

To avoid this, just press the W below the shifter. This engages winter mode, which prevents the car from using 1st and 2nd gear. If you press the W, slow down, turn, and accelerate, it will still be in 3rd gear, and you can accelerate as gently as you like ... just remember to disengage winter mode by pressing the W again whenever you get a chance. Unless its raining or snowing ... in which case you can leave it on.

On another note, does anyone else ever find themselves accelerating down a hill without using the gas pedal? If you live where I do, there are plenty of situations where you come to a stop on a steep hill, and you can accelerate without using the gas pedal ... just glide down the hill and before you know it you're going 40 mph. Anyways, if you do this, you might notice that around the 20 mph mark, the car will freak out and the revs will shoot up to 2000 rpm for a split second, and then everything will be back to normal. This is the transmission "hunting". This is the only situation that I know of where this transmission "hunts". Anyways, to avoid this, you have a two options depending on how fast you know you'll be going. If you know you won't go any faster than 25 mph, just shift back to L mode. This way you never leave 2nd gear. If you know you'll go faster than 25 mph, bite the bullet and around 10 mph, press the gas and wait for it to shift twice before releasing the gas. This way the transmission doesn't have the need to hunt, and it shifts normally.

These are just some tips I picked up while driving my car ... be safe and Happy Driving!