Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Running out of gas, cutting off and sputtering!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running out of gas, cutting off and sputtering!

Hello,
as you can see im a new member, i ve never had a problem with my car that i couldnt diagnose, first off all, i have a 1998 S70 with 98k miles on it N/A.
The car has been driving fine other than the other day i got some codes for all cylinders misfiring,, although it idled fine and ran normal, yesterday, i was getting ready to make a 2 hour trip, i went filled up on gas, on a empty tank, i got on the freeway got up to about 80mph then all of sudden it started jerking and loss power, no matter how much i depressed the gas it wouldnt go, it started jerking really bad in low speeds and finally pulled to the side. I managed to get it home jerking and shaking and shutting off on me, now the car starts okay, it idles normal, however as soon as i step on gas it dies, when i was driving it back yesterday it felt like i was running out of gas, and when i did manage to get some speed it was like i was on first gear and playing with the gas pedal, it was jerking so hard, the engine was shaking so bad that it was shaking the whole car, im guessing it has nothing to do with the spark plugs misfiring, it feels like its not getting enough gas, but before i went and started buying parts i wanted to ask you guys for some opinions, thanx much, any hep would be nice!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

First thing to check is if anyone else that got gas from that station had problems. Call them, if there was water in the system it would cause problems.

2. Check fuel pressure. If your fuel pump is going out and not supplying proper fuel flow or pressure, the car will not run at higher rpm's.

3. Check the fuel pump relay. They fail a lot at 10+ years.

4. When was the last time you had a full tune up? Plugs, wires, distributor, cap, PCV, etc. Old wires can cause misfires.

Yes, misfires can cause your car to shake as it misses.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanx for your reply, i had a full tune up about 5 years ago, ii knew it was about time for it but i thought the worst thing that could happen was loss of performance, i took out the sparkplugs and cleaned them and still the same, i would have thought that if the cables or sparks were bad it would have been an gradual deal , in my case this happened in minutes, the car was fine one second and i hit 80 and it started.

Where is the fuel pump relay located and how will i be able to tell if its gone bad, im hoping that it just sucked up some sludge from the bottom of the tank and got the filter stopped up. if incase the gas was bad you, will that be a big job?
Thanx so much for help, this is my daily driver and im handicapped until i resolve it.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 AM

i just called and like i was expecting they wouldnt tell me even if they had water in the tank, but ive had water in the gas tank before and the car didnt start, so im pretty sure i can rule that out, i think my girl was driving it on empty for a very long time, does that sound like a problem thats caused by that>> thanx