Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

S70 drivers side Front window motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S70 drivers side Front window motor

Hy everyone,
I rolled down my front drivers side window today and now it wont roll back up and its about to rain. I dont have a garage and park on the street. When I put my ear by the door to listen for the motor I hear it click when I engage the switch. That makes me think its the window regulator/motor and not the switch contacts. any thoughts?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Play around with the switch a bit- they fail far more often than the motors/ regulators do, and they often fail electronically- you might be hearing the relay inside the switch housing click. Definitely test the motor before condemning it. Put power to the 2 wires that go to the motor, and see what happens. Reverse the polarity to check it the other direction.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:56 PM

okay. so you mean take the switch off 1st and there are 3 plugs under there. should I be testing the switch like this guide>>>http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/200...volvo-s70-v70/

or take the panel off completely and start messing with the regulartor itself?

can I swap the plugs on the switch to the drivers side front and see if that will work? you got a guide for what you described? thanks man. I appreciate the quick response to my thread. :up:

Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Carrots
Play around with the switch a bit- they fail far more often than the motors/ regulators do, and they often fail electronically- you might be hearing the relay inside the switch housing click. Definitely test the motor before condemning it. Put power to the 2 wires that go to the motor, and see what happens. Reverse the polarity to check it the other direction.
Carrots you saved the night man! Thank you buddy. you were right on. The guide I posted should be a sticky. But if it wasnt for your extra kick in the *** I wouldnt have gone there. The switch was so oxidized from 11 years of driving with the window open with the north east weather. I shorted it and got the window to go back up. I need to get a new switch but at least its up. the mortor is fine. I have a question off topic about my car. when I hit bumps going past 50 mph I get a really loose shake in the steering column. the suspension is fine on my car since it all new but i feel like there is a lot of play between my steering wheel and the actual steering chassis. when I take it to the mechanic what should I suggest to test?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have cleaned off the insides of my switches with a soft wire brass brush and it has worked fine for me. No problems since.

As for the shake in the steering wheel, you have to have something bad in the suspension. Take it to an alignment shop and ask them to do an alignment. They'll tell you what's going on.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the rubber flex disk in the steering column where it connects to the rack. This can be accessed from under the dash. These have been known to wear out sometimes, which will cause a "loose" feeling in the steering.