Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

S70 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S70 questions

Good afternoon...My mistake calling this a v70 when in fact it's an s70...anyway,
I've got a couple questions about any inherant problems any of you know about with the s70 sedan?
I'm looking at one with about 130,000 miles on it and wonder what I should be focusing on. The body and interior are in good condition, but I don't have access to any service records.
This is way newer than anything I've owned before and I'm a bit nervous about technology and power options like headlight wipers and power windows. These things are all great as long as they keep working.
Computers seem to be the bain of my existance and hope this thing is NOT one of those cars that needs to be plugged in to do anything to it?

Well...any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I tried to talk my wife into a cream puff 1980 244, but she said "No...It's really ugly". Owning a 76 / 245 you can imagine how this hurt me. I'd almost have to put money on the 244 outlasting the s70, but I could be wrong?

Thanks
Ken

Last edited by fossilvolvo; 09-10-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The S70's are somewhat high maintenance at this point. They are all 12+ years old so if you don't turn a wrench, stay away from them.

You can look at the buyer's guide in the 850 section, DIY sticky. It has lots of info for the 850's and S/V70 pre '01. Here is a quick list that comes to mind:
  1. Strut mounts. At the top of the strut towers. Bounce the car while looking at them, if they bounce, they are bad.
  2. PCV vacuum system. While the car is warmed up and running, pull the dip stick out and see if it's smoking. Smoking means the system needs to be replaced. $800 at local mechanic.
  3. Timing belt last service. A broken timing belt on these will cause the motor to be damaged.
  4. AC service. If it's low on freon, it's likely that the evaporator is bad.
  5. Dash tabs. The dash will make a lot of noise if the tabs are broken.
  6. Door locks. 90% of them are bad.
  7. ABS light, module.
That's a start on these cars, the most important to look for. If the car is newer, '99 or '00 you should look for the throttle control module for being replaced. Not sure what color the original sticker is on the bottom of them. Maybe someone else can post that info here.

Last edited by rspi; 09-11-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fossil; you didn't say what MY you were looking at??

IMO the 1998 was best MY as it was just a slightly re-skinned 850; mature design and (again IMO) the best car volvo ever built. In 1999 they changed many sub-systems (ETM, fuel delivery system, etc.) and reliability suffered. Supposedly they got most of that dialed in by about 2005 MY or so but I remained unconvinced.

Also if you're willing to do you own maintenance work then these cars are very manageable as they're relatively easy to work on. Here's one example: I had to replace the interior heater fan on my son's '89 240; about 8 hours+ of labor. On my 850 or S70 could do the same in less than an hour (and that's with a beer break).

RSPI: As usual I only disagree with you on minor points:

item #3: A broken timing belt will cause engine damage; there's no chance of it not if it breaks while the crank is rotating.

item #6: I own an 850 and S70 and have yet to need to replace any lock actuators. Maybe I'm on borrowed time?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I just notices that on #3 and corrected that. LOL

As for #6, that's strange. I think if someone doesn't us the remote to unlock all the doors that often, or do it with a double tap of the key over the years the latches may not wear out. I had to rebuild all of our S70 latch motors.

Last edited by rspi; 09-11-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input.
The car is a 1998, and that sounds like it may be a positive feature.

The blower motor sounds only too familiar as I own a 245 and dread the thought of having to change it. I use it very little so as not to wear it out, and my A/C quit working over 20 years ago so no blower needed there. Where the control for the A/c is on the dash I put a vinyl sticker of a penguin...if I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day, I stare long and hard at the penguin and think about where he lives, and I feel considerably cooler.

I'll look more closely at the upper struts, and will run the door locks up and down repeatedly to see if there's any issue there.

I'm wondering about the "damge/no damage timing belt thing" but would guess it's prudent to change it before it breaks. Sounds like something my 245 should have done too.

Thanks...
Ken

Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fossilvolvo
Thanks for the input.
The car is a 1998, and that sounds like it may be a positive feature.
IMO definitely yes! But you didn't say what model: base (N/A), GLT (LPT), Turbo, etc.?

The blower motor sounds only too familiar as I own a 245 and dread the thought of having to change it. I use it very little so as not to wear it out, and my A/C quit working over 20 years ago so no blower needed there. Where the control for the A/c is on the dash I put a vinyl sticker of a penguin...if I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day, I stare long and hard at the penguin and think about where he lives, and I feel considerably cooler.
Hey if that works for you..

I'm wondering about the "damge/no damage timing belt thing" but would guess it's prudent to change it before it breaks. Sounds like something my 245 should have done too.
That's the point on interference engines (like the 850/S/V70); change the timing belt as scheduled to avoid costly engine damage. Don't think the 245 engine is interference; blowing a timing belt there is like getting a flat tire; throw on the spare and keep going down the road...