Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

S70 T5 won't start. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S70 T5 won't start. Help.

Good morning,
I have ran out of things to check.
The car won't start. There is fuel pulsing out of the injectors as you crank it.
There is spark firing on all plugs.
The timing is spot on.
I drove the car in the evening, parked it. The next morning it started, had a cough and stopped. Since then it won't start.

Please help.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Coz and welcome to the site.

Gas, Spark, and Air. If you have the first two it must be the last. How long did it run? Maybe your MAF or computer went out. What year is your car?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 PM

It's been running fine, for a while now. It's a 97 model.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check fuel pressure? your injectors will always pulse but if no fuel is there you wont have no start.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 AM

The fuel pressure seems to be adequate, not checked but with the injector rail pulled the fuel sprays out plenty. Is there a way to check the pressure at home, I have generic OBDII scanner will that tell me.
Thanks so far for all the help.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Administrator

The S70's did not come to the US till '98, where are you located?

Do you have any codes?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 PM

I am down south, South Africa, No codes shown, but it looks like fuel pressure isn't monitored, or the generic scanner isn't to bright. I dumped the fuel pump into a bucket of petrol, filled that with clean or known working gas, it was close to starting but the bucket emptied, will be draining the tank tomorrow morning after work, maybe its a bad fuel supply. Found out from wife that she filled it from empty the day before it died.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Does your ICV (idle control valve) hum when you turn the key on? If you have fuel and spark you have an air problem.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 PM

The ICV hums away, normal or not I don't know though.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Administrator

It is suppose to hum. Put that fuel pump system back together, pull the plugs and let the chambers dry out, make sure you have spark.

You said timing is good, did you look at the belt and pull on it a little to make sure it's tight?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 PM

I have run it without the 5 plugs in, was more of a test of all cylinders getting spark, and there was. Also cranked it without the injectors connected to dry out the cylinders.
I checked the timing by removing the distributor and cam position sensor, the slots behind these line up exactly when crank at TDC.
Before coming to work I re assembled all, when I get home later this morning I will attempt to drain tank, see if that helps.

Please keep the ideas coming, I am almost out of them.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Pull the timing belt cover off and make sure the belt is on tight. I would not waste any time draining the tank.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM

My ommision the belt is on and happy, marks line up as they should, belt tensioner doing its work. All the covers are off after browsing for possible problems.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:52 AM

hello cozqatar I am having a similar problem... have a 2000 volvo s70 automatic with approx 68,000 miles...has been giving signs of trouble for last couple of months, but now theyve hit!! We havent driven it for about a month or so because we cant get it to start. Over the last couple of months we have been having some electrical issues, & transmission issues...electrical problems things like one night my wife and i were leaving a dinner party & the locks would it not open/go up when inserting key in door (we dont have a keyless remote entry), the speedometer will stop & start working while driving, different dash lights will come on & off like the check engine, ABS light, plus others...again we havent been able to start it for a month, but a few weeks before it wouldnt start, we started having transmission problems...i.e: that same night when the lock finally did open, when i put the car in reverse, the transmission wasnt going into gear, car just revvd when steppin on gas, i just kept shifting gears over a minute or so & suddenly it worked, from that night on the transmission has been acting weird,ie: will be stopped @ a light & car will revv & take a while to go, or will move slowly & suddenly kick in normally, it had been progressively getting worse to the point where it would take 30-60 secs to kick into gear when at a light, or even while driving would seem to come out of gear. we did notice that on cold days the transmission was working better & when the day got hotter transmission wouldnt work as well(maybe related or not), transmission was better in lower gears D2 & Low. I thought the transmission needed to be rebuilt/replaced (which made no sense having less than 70k miles on it) but never got chance to have it looked at. Over a week period the transmission was getting really bad, would be driving and would seem to start revving as if it wasnt in gear. The last day i used it was coming up my long driveway and just wouldn’t stay in gear, parked it, next day went to start it & it wouldnt start. it would turn over but very very slowly. My father who is a recently retired heavy equipment mechanic said it sounded like the battery, so I just replaced the battery a couple of days ago. When I went to replace battery, noticed the old battery connectors were covered in battery acid so I washed it with baking soda & cleaned with water, then charged battery . after which it was turning over better but still not well & wouldn’t start. A day or 2 later I hooked up new battery (which was this past Thursday 4/12/12) and when doing so found what seemed to be more battery acid on a few other places on the engine where there are electrical connections, plus on top of windshield wiper fluid reservoir, radiator overflow, among a few other places(I suppose it could have just been baking soda , but looked like battery acid) however the old battery doesn’t look like exploded or anything. After connecting new battery, car is turning over, what seems to be normally, definately better than before. The fuel gauge says theres more than ¼ tank, but still wont start. I checked all the fuses, & theyre all fine. Except there isn’t a fuse in the slot that says for “starter”. Again my father is a retired HEM, but I am terrible with this stuff. He said starter is fine, if it wasn’t wouldn’t be turning over, cant be battery bcus i just replaced it (which by the way tried starting it with a group 58 battery as auto parts store said would be fine even though car calls for group 48 battery, that couldn’t be it right? Same Cold Cranking Amps…I think??). I am lost, desperate for help. Could everything be related?? My dad says transmission should be fine, too little miles to have gone out, he says that electrical or computer problem could definitely cause transmission to malfunction or just not function properly. Is that true?? & again could this all be related? What should I check next? Any ideas?? Please help thank you!!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:14 PM

Personally I would check if there is any error codes interest ecu.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator

To All: Please do not reply to Tobie's issues. I have started a new thread for him.

@ Cozqatar: I would do a compression test to see what's going on inside the motor. If you are getting FUEL, SPARK and AIR and the car is not starting, you either have a major electrical problem (like bad computer) or a compression issue.
Compression Test - Volvo S70 GLT, 1998

Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 AM

Success, finally drained 70 litres of fuel out, blew pipes clean, gave it 5 litres of petrol out of my truck, after letting it crank a bit to get fuel through she burst into life. Just had little chat with fuel company, they are coming to collect the bad fuel.. Thanks for everybody's help with suggestions etc...
Big thanks to the forum.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 AM

hello cozqtar I want to apologize, in no way was i trying to "thread jack" my sincerest apologies!! it just so happened I was googling Volvo repair help & re problems i was having...& found this site & your thread...I just thought you might have an idea because sounded like other than my transmission issue, that you were having similar problems. Again my sincerest apologies and thank you rspi for starting a new thread...this was my my first time logging in or posting...again my sincerest apologies!! and Thank you