Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Are S70's scarce?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are S70's scarce?

Hi All,

After too many years of keeping our old 240 series Volvos alive (replacing blower motors, water pumps, and patching rust holes), I started switching over to FWD Volvos last year with the addition of my '99 V70-GLT. I'm now in the market for a clean "99 or '00 S70 for my wife. The only problem is that I'm having a heck of a time finding any S70's in my area (Boise, ID). There are lots of V70's available and I'm beginning to think that considerably fewer of the sedan version were produced. Is this the situation in other parts of the US?

Ideally, I'd like to find a white '00 S70, non-turbo, with cloth seats and a 5-speed manual transmission (wife's choices). Did such a version ever exist?

Randy

[IMG]local://upfiles/14368/237C429C06FF49D696A7784FF32CAD5B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Are S70's scarce?

1. I wouldn't purchase a 1999 or 2000 s70. They replaced the regular throttle bodies with an Electronic Throttle Module. Which is on recall. Also new software needs to be installed. If yours isn't covered under the warranty it can be upwards of $1200 for the ETM and like $100 for the software. I would seriously look into purchasing a 1998 s70, you will be much happier.

2. Maybe in your area there aren't a lot of s70's. I did an AutoTrader search and found nothing. I found a few 300 miles away but nothing 100 miles away.

3. This will answer your question about what models came with or without a manual transmission.
http://www.answers.com/Volvo%20s70
"The Base and T5 models had an optional five-speed manual transmission, the GL and GLT were available with only an automatic transmission."

Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

1. I wouldn't purchase a 1999 or 2000 s70. They replaced the regular throttle bodies with an Electronic Throttle Module. Which is on recall. Also new software needs to be installed. If yours isn't covered under the warranty it can be upwards of $1200 for the ETM and like $100 for the software. I would seriously look into purchasing a 1998 s70, you will be much happier.
I'm kinda familiar with that, as I bought my current '99 V70 from my sister/brother-in-law, who went through all the repairs & expense before I bought it, and it runs great.
The '98 S70 doesn't have these issues?
Also, was '99 the first year for the "chipped" keys?

2. Maybe in your area there aren't a lot of s70's. I did an AutoTrader search and found nothing. I found a few 300 miles away but nothing 100 miles away.
That's the frustrating part. I can't buy a used car based on a few fuzzy pictures on the Net. The ONLY S70 I've found locally (on a very questionable car lot) looks like someone lived in it. I'm going to be taking a trip to California in a couple weeks, so maybe I can do some looking there.

3. This will answer your question about what models came with or without a manual transmission.
"The Base and T5 models had an optional five-speed manual transmission, the GL and GLT were available with only an automatic transmission."
Thanks. Those base models with the manual tranny must be scarce as I haven't found one yet.

Randy

Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: mrvolvo

I'm kinda familiar with that, as I bought my current '99 V70 from my sister/brother-in-law, who went through all the repairs & expense before I bought it, and it runs great.
The '98 S70 doesn't have these issues?
Also, was '99 the first year for the "chipped" keys?

That's the frustrating part. I can't buy a used car based on a few fuzzy pictures on the Net. The ONLY S70 I've found locally (on a very questionable car lot) looks like someone lived in it. I'm going to be taking a trip to California in a couple weeks, so maybe I can do some looking there.

Thanks. Those base models with the manual tranny must be scarce as I haven't found one yet.

Randy
- 1998 Volvo's and before used a regular style Throttle Body. So they do not have the ETM issues.

- Can't answer the question about the keys.

- Don't buy a car if you think they are questionable. Do some reasearch before you get to California. Know where your going and get the zipcode and look them up on AutoTrader. I know you don't get a great idea of what they look like and what condition they are in, but you can at least see what is available out there.

- Yes the manual trannies are more scarce. So don't expect to find one. And if you do don't expect it to possibly comply with your other wishes.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM

- Yes the manual trannies are more scarce. So don't expect to find one. And if you do don't expect it to possibly comply with your other wishes.
I hear ya.

The bottom line is that the ONLY way I'm ever going to satisfy my wife is if I could find her a BRAND NEW Volvo 244 with 4-speed manual + OD, and air conditioning that runs on R134a. I even offered to buy her a Beemer or a Mercedes, but no dice. It's gotta be a Volvo.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 PM

Why does it have to be a manual? I mean my g/f is the same way all she will ever drive is a manual and I just don't see it. They are worthless to me.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look on ebay if i were you, I would also do a nation wide search on autotrader and cars.com on S70's. I had a 98 S70 T5 mannual and the guy who I bought it from was the second owner and he went from Chicago to Ohio to buy it. So some people do travel out of state if they find a really good car.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 PM

im 90 percent sure my 98 has a chip in the key

Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM

Why does it have to be a manual? I mean my g/f is the same way all she will ever drive is a manual and I just don't see it. They are worthless to me.
Well, as far as my wife is concerned:

A. She has been driving for 33 years, virtually all of which has been with her own manual transmission cars.

B. The only automatics she has driven are other people's cars, and only briefly.

C. I've seen her drive an automatic and it's not a pretty sight. For example; she can't seem to comprehend coming to a complete stop after backing up, before shifting into drive.

The only reason *I* am now driving an automatic is because my sister sold me her near mint condition V70-GLT at a really good price and I knew the car's history. Otherwise, every other car and truck I've owned over the past 42 years has been a stick.

*My* reasons for driving manual transmission vehicles are:

1. Dependability - I've never had a manual transmission fail on me or require anything beyond a periodic gear lube change. I contrast that to the many "company" vehicles I drove at work (Fords and Chevys) which had automatics and regularly had transmission problems.

2. Engine braking - manual transmissions provide far better engine braking on downgrades and even in normal traffic, which saves on brake pads, helps avoid brake fade and warped rotors. We do a lot of mountain driving in my area and it makes a difference.

3. Engine cooling - manual transmissions don't use up part of the radiator's cooling capacity to cool the transmission fluid. This means you can run the A/C more in hotter weather without overheating the engine. I also don't need an auxiliary ATF cooler to keep from frying the transmission or overheating the engine when towing my boat in the mountains with my manual transmission pickup.

4. Fuel consumption - I can easily get better mileage with a manual transmission with an overdrive 5th gear. No slip, no slop, no wasted energy.

5. Emergencies - If my battery fails, I can jump start the vehicle without using jumper cables and another vehicle's battery. (BTDT several times.)

I must admit that the 4-speed automatic in my V70 is the best I've ever driven and it works well on snow and ice. I did have one "minor" problem with it and had it serviced for about $500. I'm interested to see how long it actually lasts.

Randy
Boise, ID

Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 AM

I did find this 850 on Boston Craigslist. It's a base model with the velour cloth interior and 5-speed manual tranny...

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/538224901.html

Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get an 850 with manual trans and clothe interior you will be getting the base model. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm just letting you know. I agree with trying to find the 98 for the S70, but since you already have the 99 you might be OK if the ETM

Old 01-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Jim, the original poster indicated he wants a base model 2000 S70 5-speed with cloth seats. All I can say is good luck because they are few and far between. He's more likely to find a 98 than a 2000 and they are also rare.., Found only these on an Autotrader in a nationwide search.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...mp;cardist=436

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...mp;cardist=872

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...mp;cardist=941

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...p;cardist=2598

Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 PM

I know there is one that drives around out here in Portland OR. It was a cloth interior car and had a 5 speed stick. Not sure what year. But I'm sure those EXTREME base models that don't have automatic temp control with N/A engines and stick shifts must be very rare. on the plus side, they are probably hard to sell and would have a low price.

Recently there was one for sale on craigslist in the Portland area. Few months back.