Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Special Tools for Timing Belt Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Tools for Timing Belt Replacement?

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me what special tools I will need so to install a timing belt, idler pulley, hydraulic tensioner, and tensioner pulley on a 98 S70 GLT (with rotor cap)?

What about a device to lock the cams so they do not turn and change the timing while you change the belt? Does anyone who's done it before know where to get one of these, and how much? What's the chance of getting one of these used? Is it prudent to get it used?

Would something like a Snap-On Blue-POint YA6330 timing belt tensioner tool with 6mm Hex Adjuster be necessary in the case of a GLT with a hydraulic tensioner? And would a Belt Tensioner Lock Pin Set be needed either?

Any suggestions concerning improvised tools to make the job somewhat easier would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Special Tools for Timing Belt Replacement?

Have you looked and made sure it is a hydrolic tensioner?
If it is you will need a vise to compress the tensioner. Then you can use a nail or a back side of a rivet to lock it till you need to release the tension.
You don't need to lock the cams. If you feel safer mark them before removing the tensioner.Put one mark on the back of the pulley and one on the cam cover. This way if it moves you can set it back up before installing the belt.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tech for the prompt reply, much appreciated.
My GLT is set up with the rotor cap and rotor, so that calls for a hydraulic tensioner, correct?
I see that the mechanical tensioners require a special tool to adjust the tension; but as you had advised in a previous thread, a C-clamp should do the job with a hydraulic tensioner, right?
Thanks for the cool tip on the issue of marking the pulley and cam cover.

As for the timing belt repair in question, I'm planning to change both belts, not just the timing belt, including the water pump, and while at it I'll also install an new PCV kit, as well as new vacuum lines. Anything else to consider during this type of repair? Thanks again.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Some of the 1998's have a mechanical tensioner on it even though you still have a dist. cap and rotor.

If hydrolic the C-clamp will work fine.
Sounds like you have all the parts covered.