Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Starter immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter immobilizer

Ok, just looking for starter and starter immobilizer pops up. Could this be my starter problem and what does it do? Sorry for sounding stupid, but not a lot of money and only want to buy what I need. Thanks Pete

Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 PM

You have 3 or 4 threads going. Are they all the same problem?

One says your car shutdown when you tried to move the seat. Another says you got a click from the starter when you tried to restart. Another says the starter spings but doesn not engage to turn over the engine.

typcially an immobilizer prevents the engine from turning over and starting. I don't think it would shut your car down while you are driving it.

IF your battery was almost dead when you tried to move the seat, that could easily be enough to shut down the car.

Did you have any dash lights on when it initially failed? Alternator light? Was the tachometer working? The engine itself draws a lot of current. Then you have the daylight running lights. These are big draws. A few starts on a weak battery and a drive without a charge, the car WILL shutdown.

At this point, when you engage the key, do you hear the starter spinning? Does it engage the engine so the engine turns over?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM

even when I put battery on charger, the selonoid would spin but not engage the engine. Now thinking have more than 1 prob. The initial totally dead engine when going down road at 65 and touching seat adj. switch. to now engine not engaging. I know I have prob with ignition, but still works. Will take advice and get battery tester and clean terminals. Thanks Pete

Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Address the starter issue first as you can't fix anything without addressing that.

If you are engaging the key and you can hear the starter spinning and the engine is not turning over, you have a starter problem. The starter has an induction coil that basically creates a really strong magnet when you turn the key. The plunger is drawn down and through a lever forces the engagement of a gear with the engines flywheel.

So, possible issues....

- The solenoid is not functioning. You need to figure out if its electrical or mechanical. You can test the smaller wires on solenoid to make sure you are getting power. Normally I would say replace the starter but you have other electrical issues so they may be related. If you turn the key and get power on the smaller wires, and the starter is not engaging the starter is toast. Don't mess with the really big wire.
- You have a broken tooth on the flywheel - least likely scenario