Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Turbo manufacturer???

Old 02-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo manufacturer???

My question is regarding the manufacturer of the stock turbo on the 98 volvo s70 t5. I read somewhere that they were made by mitsubishi. I was just wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Turbo manufacturer???

Yes that is true.

Why do you need to know?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 AM

Mostly curious. Is there a certain mitsubishi model that was equipped with the same unit (gs-t, gs-x)? Also, I was wondering where you got that awesome bodykit Driver? Very classy!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 PM

Your Volvo came with a Mitsubishi 16T straight flange turbo. Are you wondering where you can buy another turbo for your car? The same model turbo?

My Volvo came with a Mitsubishi 13g angled turbo.
------------------------

I have the HEICO Front Spoiler Exstentions for the 98-00 70 series models. I bought mine from IPD USA when they had them on sale for $275 shipped which is a steal. These range from like $300-$500 and they are not painted, you will have to paint them.

You can purchase these now from EuroSportTuning (EST). I don't know if IPD USA still carries them or not if they do they wont be what I paid for them.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:11 PM

I was wondering if I could buy a mits specific bov since I couldn't find a volvo specific bov. Also, do you have any tips for running a boost gauge? I bought an autometer gauge yesterday and am completely stumped.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: 98DebadgedT5

I was wondering if I could buy a mits specific bov since I couldn't find a volvo specific bov. Also, do you have any tips for running a boost gauge? I bought an autometer gauge yesterday and am completely stumped.
Ok...

1. Your turbo doesn't have a BOV on it already. That is for starters. What you do have is CBV. It acts like a BOV sort of but isn't a BOV.

2. If you want to run a BOV I suggest running an HKS SSQV you wont be disappointed. And or run a TIAL BOV, again you wont be disappointed. I suggest attaching it via an Aluminum flange welded to your Upper Intercooler Pipe, the one that goes over the engine.

3. I didn't install my boost gauge but from what I can tell it is pretty simple.

a. Buy the gauge which you have already.
b. Buy a pod. Id you don't know where, buy it from http://www.gaugepods.com/
I have mine from there and love it. I have the triple gauge pod.
c. You will have to find a vaccum source. And for you the best source would be the vaccum tree which should be located underneath the throttle body cover. There you should see a tree like structure that has some vaccum lines going into it and from it. There should be some that have little covers over them maybe one or two of them should be like this. Uncap one of them and that is where you will get your vaccum source from.
d. You will have to find a power source if you want it to lightup at night. Someone else here should be able to help you more with that. Possibly tap into one of the wires that is connected to the headlight switch on the left side of the steering wheel.
e. You will have to run the vaccm line through the firewall of the car and there is a pass through on the left hand side it is a round rubber grommet. That is where you will pass everything through.

Now I know this probably doesn't help much, but I would suggest having a shop do it. It wont take long to do for them. Also I hope you bought your gauge brand new and it came with all the hardware needed.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Would I mount the bov in place of the cbv or run them together? By the way, what is a cbv if you don't mind my asking?
FYI, the gauge is brand spankin' new.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:41 PM

Would I mount the bov in place of the cbv or run them together? By the way, what is a cbv if you don't mind my asking?
FYI, the gauge is brand spankin' new.
1. You can mount the BOV and run the CBV at the same time. No problems doing so. I did that when I had my BOV.

2. You can mount the BOV and block off the CBV. Which then you would take the vaccum line going to the CBV and put it on the BOV. So you wouldn't have to run a vaccum line. You will just use the existing one from the CBV. You will blank your CBV off using this, http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/prod_blanking.html

3. A CBV is, Compressor Bypass Valve. "A compressor bypass valve (CBV) also known as a compressor relief valve is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system of a turbocharged or centrifugally supercharged car when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake (before the turbo) but after the mass airflow sensor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve

In comparrison a BOV, Blow Off Valve. "A blowoff valve, (BOV, sometimes hooter valve, dump valve) does basically the same thing, but releases the air to the atmosphere. This creates a very distinctive sound desired by many who own turbocharged sports cars. Some blowoff valves are sold with trumpet shaped exits that amplify the "pfssssst" sound, these designs are normally marketed towards the tuner crowd. For some owners this is the only reason to get a BOV. Motor sports governed by the FIA have made it illegal to vent unmuffled blowoff valves to the atmosphere. In the United States, Australia and Europe cars featuring unmuffled blowoff valves are illegal for street use."

Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM

This hks ssqv mounts on the stock turbo right? Would I be able to reuse it if I bought a bigger aftermarket unit? Also, is there any benefit to a bov instead of the cbv? I am not really into the tuner sound, I prefer the sleeper aspect of the car.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:57 PM

This hks ssqv mounts on the stock turbo right? Would I be able to reuse it if I bought a bigger aftermarket unit? Also, is there any benefit to a bov instead of the cbv? I am not really into the tuner sound, I prefer the sleeper aspect of the car.
No it doesn't mount on the turbo. I don't know of any BOV that mounts on the actual turbo. I have heard of it, but never seen it.

In any event you do not mount your BOV on your turbo period in your case of having a Volvo. You want to mount it on your Upper Intercooler Pipe which goes over the engine. You will need an Aluminum flange which will need to be welded to the Upper Intercooler Pipe. The BOV attaches to the flange and then you either blank your CBV off and run the vaccum line that was attached to the CBV to the BOV or you keep your CBV and run a vaccum line from the vaccum tree to your BOV or "T" off another vaccum line and run it to your BOV.

In your case and most people case a BOV isn't needed. There is no benefit. Actually the only time you will hear it go off is when you let off the gas. Unless your a manual 1998 s70T5. In fact you will run RICH for a split second when the BOV does go off.
-------------------------------------
I actually have a BOV for sale. It comes with an Upper Intercooler Pipe which is polished and the BOV and some vaccum line. However the Upper Intercooler Pipe will not fit your 1998 s70T5. But I am only selling them as a whole. $175 shipped is what I asking. It is a Turbo XS Type H-RFL BOV.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 PM

So bov are basically pointless in most applications. Where do you stand on turbo timers? Is it worth the money? A little off topic, am I being a little girl or does the shift **** on the 5spd not come off?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:16 PM

So bov are basically pointless in most applications. Where do you stand on turbo timers? Is it worth the money? A little off topic, am I being a little girl or does the shift **** on the 5spd not come off?
BOV's are good in high horsepower applications. In our application it is for looks, for sound only. Unless you have a 500Hp Volvo.

"A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_timer

Well they are good, but if you just properly let your engine cool down you will be fine. If you don't want to wait get a turbo timer.

So are you manual or automatic transmission?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Manual.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:23 PM

Manual.
Ok. Well then yours would go off during each shift. If you install a BOV.

And if the manual ***** are anything like the automatic ***** they are a pain to take off.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Thanks a lot for all the info! You'll be hearing from me again I'm sure of it!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:32 PM

Thanks a lot for all the info! You'll be hearing from me again I'm sure of it!
No problem.

If your interested in the BOV I have for sale, just PM me.