Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Two Problems, hopefully not related, a coolant leak and engine that wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Problems, hopefully not related, a coolant leak and engine that wont start

Howdy every body this is my first real post, first real problem with my volvo which is a 1998 S70 GLT.
The first part goes like this, A month or so ago I noticed that my coolant level was a tad low, so I added some, and I have been progressively losing fluid faster ever since. I have a service manual and changing the radiator doesn't seem like anything I can't handle. but unfortunately I don't have space or the resources DIY it at this particular point in time. and And a friend of mine is getting Married in Dallas this weekend, so after reading around a bit I decided to try some BAR'S Radiator Stop Leak. I figured if it works great if doesn't, then I wont brave the trek from Houston. So i got up this morning Added the pellet and liquid mixture into the top radiator hose, replaced it, let it idle for 30 min. then turned it off, to run inside and get my wallet, and take it for a test drive. She starts up fine and at this point I remember the low fuel light came on last night on my home from work, I decide to stop and get gas first. Before I make it a block the engine gets sluggish loses rpm and dies. I add a gallon of gas, and she still wont start. I think I'll try the fuel filter any other ideas?

Sorry for the long winded nature of the post, but 'The Devil is in the Details'.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would make sure you have fuel pressure first.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Default How the hell...

I took my car to the neighborhood shop, to run some diagnostics. They called me and said that their is no compression in cylinder 4, and then said I'm probably looking at a new engine. How did this happen, and what are my options.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Does it run now?

Just being low on that cylinder will not cause it to not start.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:51 PM

No, it doesn't run, the mechanic said everything else was fine, just that cylinder had no compression. this is starting to make me suspicious. anyone know of an honest Volvo mech. on the East side of Houston?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator

The wagon I just bought has 1 or 2 cylinders down and I can still start it.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah... no compression in one cylinder won't keep you from starting the car. There's shops out there that will tell you things like that just because they know it'll make you go away, when it's a car they really don't want to work on. I have a customer with a BMW 318ti that got the same runaround- was told there was no compression in one cylinder, and that that was the cause of his rough running. When I checked it, it was just fine, the problem turned out to be something minor.

Anyhow, your first item of business is to get the car to a shop that specializes in european cars or just Volvos, and have them check fuel pressure. I've seen fuel pumps die from running out of gas- the gasoline is what lubricates them.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM

Yeah, when I took the car In I actually told the mechanic I thought it was the fuel pump. I am most certainly not going to do anymore business with someone who tried to sell me on a new Engine, the basis being no compression in one cylinder. If I'm not mistaken the problem could be as simple as broken valve spring for Gods sake. On this side of Houston there are no Volvo Mechanics. I think the nearest european garage is about 20 mi out of the way. what's the easiest way to check for fuel pressure? (I know the right way I have a service manual for it.)

Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 AM

There should be a shraeder valve on the driver side of the fuel rail. Remove the cap( it its still there) and push in on the needle with something like a small screwdriver. If it shoots out like lots of pressure, then fuel pump should be ok, if it just trickles out, pump may be out.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Administrator

I agree that is how it should be checked if you do not have a gauge.
If you have 0 compression you might have a burnt valve but it will still run. But also a lifter might be collapsed causing the no compression.