Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Uhh, Honey... I think I found a piece of somthing.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Default Uhh, Honey... I think I found a piece of somthing.

And it looks like.... *drumrolllllll* THESE

I'm not entirely sure if the sagging faceplate (or whatever it's called, the sagging bit under the steering column) is related with this little bracket thing; I just noticed there is a new gap between two of the panels on the door. But, does anyone know what this goes to? Thanks a million Volvo Forums - You've saved my life before, lets see if y'all can do it again

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 PM

hmm. That panel comes down all the time... it's basically held in place by one screw and a couple little friction grip things that wear out. Not sure what that piece is, though it's coated in the green glue that Volvo uses to attach pieces to the door panel trim... that stuff's usually seen on the inside of the door panels.Now, here's a way I devised to fix that sagging panel: Take out the screw in the center, below the steering column. Remove the panel. Is the screw hole in the panel intact? yes? good. No? you'll use a small washer behind the screw when you re- install the panel as a reinforcement. Now, look at the little tabs that the panel is supposed to be held in place with. Volvo SHOULD have used metal clips to hold those on, and more robust holes to match, but didn't. Those tabs have a thick middle part that is thicker than the hole the tab passes in to, but those holes get bigger over time, and eventually, the tabs slip out, leaving that gap. if the holes don't have broken walls, you can take some GOOP adhesive, or RTV Silicone, or other such thick, heavy adhesive that will set to a semi- soft, rubbery consistency and build up the tabs so they once again grip the holes. If the holes are broken out, then you'll need to coat the hidden space that butts against the dashboard with GOOP, reinstall the panel, and brace it in place until it dries. Then, reinstall the screw, using a washer to reinforce the hole if necessary.