Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

V70 key spins all the way around?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 key spins all the way around?

About two weeks ago, the same day I had a cv boot replaced, my key in my 98 v70 became very hard to turn to position III (start). Then not only was it hard to turn it began to be a hit or miss as to whether or not it was going to start. On a couple ocassions the key actually turned all the way around.

I called the dealer and they recomended that I replace the electrical part of the switch in which I have jus finished. I took the top and bottom column covers off, then removed the directional lever and then the cover to the switch and replaced the switch. At this point I thought I was golden because I gave it three or four test starts and it started like new every time.

Then I put everything back together. I struggled with the bottom cover because it was rubbung on the Knee guard for the srs. After everything was back together the key just turns and turns. I tore it all back apart and with the electrical part off I can see the little rod sticking out but the key is not turning it.

I think I need to replace the part where the key goes in. I have been pondering over that. What can you tell me about that job. How much does the part cost? Will my key work in a new tumbler? The only screws that I see are two round headed ones going from top to bottom. Do I need to easy out these? I see alot of chat about the shift lock mechanism..could this be causing my problem of a free spinning key?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Chris in Vermont

Old 11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gee, I wonder how he made out? I seem to have the same issue with the spinning key although, for now, it catches by the third spin, or so.