Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

What's my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's my car worth?

Mods, if this does not belong in this section please move it.

I'm looking ot either sell it myself or trade it in and am just trying to get a ball park number.

I have a 99 S70 GLT with 175,000 miles on it. I am the third owner. The first two were in the same family (brother and sister I believe).

The body has some dings as you would expect on a 14 year old car, but nothing extraoridnary. No rust.

Since I got it last year, I have installed/serviced the following:

Tune up (Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Air Filter, Radiator Flush) (156k)
IPD HD Boost Solenoid (156k)
New AC Compressor (156k)
New belt (156k)
IPD Sport Springs and FCP OEM Suspension kit (struts, shocks, bumpers, seats, end links, control arms, etc.) (166k)
Midwest ABS ABS Module (174k)
ATE Premium One Slotted Rotors and ATE Premium One Pads on all four corners (175k)
New Centric Rear Calipers (175k)
New Brake Light Switch
New Coolant Expansion Kit
Silicone Radiator Upper and Lower Hoses
Silicone Vacuum Lines
New Heater Core (173k)
Transmission Swapped at 160k (New one has 122k miles on it)
IPD Polyeurathane Subframe Bushings (175k)
IPD Polyeurathane Upper Engine Mount and Firewall mount (175k)
IPD Billet Torque/Trans Link (170k)
New OEM Drive Axle Driver's side (175k)
Bosch Wipers
IPD Skid Plate (175k)
New Bosch Battery (156k)

Mobil 1 Oil Changes at the dealer every 3-4k and only Volvo Filters.

No drips on the car or anything. I would be surprised if it needed anything major in the next year or so. It's almost a Stage 0 car. The interior is in great shape. Tan Leather. Heated front seats. Power moonroof.

Am I crazy to ask for $6,500? On the surface that seems high but as I look back at the list of work done, not so much.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't seem to be able to separate maintenance from improvement.

Replacing the heater core, stop light switch or any part with a stock replacement is maintenance and although it's "nice" to have a new part in there it doesn't really increase the value much to the buyer.

Unless you're willing to be picky about your buyer you have to understand most average buyers have no clue what a HD BCS is or why they would want or need silicone radiator hoses.
For that matter there are likely a lot of turbo owners on here that don't know they even have a BCS !! If it hasn't broken, and they aren't interested in performance modifications, why would they ??

Like the used transmission. You had to replace it (I'm guessing) and what real value added component is a used stock transmission taken out of a vehicle that may have been beat to death ?? It's not like you can sell it without one.

So ... you haven't even posted pictures of it but dealer retail is around 5,000
Private party (you) retail is 3,770 in excellent condition / 3,395 in good.

You have to figure out what is actually a valuable modification to a likely buyer and add (some, it's used) to the base. Realistically no one is going to care you have new wipers or a serpentine belt or even a battery as again, you have to have them to sell the car. It's nice the battery is near new but it's not NEW new anymore and you're not going to get an extra 100 because of it. On the other hand you need brakes too but they are more expensive and they are an upgrade and those you should expect to be able to use as an upgrade to someone who understands or as added safety to someone who doesn't.

To be realistic search ebay and craigslist and see what others are going for.

If it was for an R or a T maybe, but for a GLT I think you're too high. BUT, you might have one guy who will pay it because it's exactly what he wants. Pretty much depends on how long you want to be selling it. The higher the price the longer it takes.