Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

wheel hub question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel hub question

While this question isn't actually related to my Volvo, I've found this to be a pretty knowledgeable forum so I thought I would throw it out for comments. Recently I brought my audi to NTB just to have the tires rebalanced since I bought them there. I dropped it off, went to work and about an hour later they called to say that whoever had the wheel off before them had forced the wheel on and bent the extended portion of the hub(not the flange). I then went to the dealership where I bought the car used(an Acura dealer) since they were the last to have it off( approx 5K miles before) If you haven't guessed by now I'll fill you in, both are pointing the fingers at each other and say that no way they could have done it. Furthermore NTB stripped a wheel lug trying to put the tire back on and didn't say they had a hard time getting it off. Since I don't have ESP and they both are convinced they didn't do it, I'm left holding the bag. NTB did ask me what I wanted them to do for me but I don't want charity, I just want someone to stand up and say it could have been them. I told NTB if they truly believe they didn't do it I dont want their money. It just pisses me off though

Anyone with insight or input on this. In my heart I think NTB but I'm not positive. The 5K miles it was potentially driven before discovery there was only a slight vibration at 70 mph. Otherwise it was fine.

Thats my rant for the day...thanks for listening

Old 08-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: wheel hub question

I will bet that someone had replaced an Axle on the car and messed up the flange while trying to get the Axle out.If it is just bent on the edge and having trouble getting the rim on Then they can grind it a slight bit to make the rim fit better.

Did the dealer replace an Axle before you bought it?
Did they do anything to the front before you bought it?

Old 08-07-2005, 01:23 PM

Thanks tech for the response.

The hub in question is the driver side rear hub. The dealer actually replaced that wheel beering the time they had the wheel off. Just to be sure that I was clear in my earlier post, the damage was not to the hub flange but to the short nub(I don't know the correct term!) that mates with the wheel. It wasn't until 3 months later and 5K miles that the problem was discovered if it was indeed damaged during the bearing replacement. Is that possible?

You also asked about the front which I assumed was in case it was a front hub. I did have some front suspension work done at another place in between but they never had the rear wheels off so I assumed there was no way what they did affected the rear hubs. Is that a wrong assunption?

Thanks again

Old 08-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Yes I assume it was in the front.

They could have damaged it replacing the bearing.
Is it in a spot where it can be filed to make the rim fit better?

Since no one really wants to take responsibility for it.

As long as it is really only for the fitment for the rim it should be able to get filed or ground nicely to fit the rim on properly.

And of course NTB I would have them replace the lug they stripped.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:01 PM

Thanks Tech

Looks like I'll never really know what happened. In the end I took it to an
audi dealer and had the hub replaced. We have 4 drivers in the family so I couldnt wait for this to all shake out so I just had it fixed. Thanks for the input though.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Administrator

No problem I do what I can to try to help.