Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2000 S80 Intermittent No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S80 Intermittent No Start

I am working on a 2000 S80 non-turbo. Half the time it will start, half the time it won't, it will also occasionally stall. It has no trouble codes. When it is not starting, it has signal coming from both the cam and crank sensors and it has fuel pressure but it is not firing the injectors. It has not stayed not running long enough for me to see if it has spark when it won't start. It runs great when it runs. On most cars I would have guessed a crank sensor. But everyone seems to be quite knowledgeable on this forum and I hope someone can steer me in the right direction because I don't want to go throwing parts at this thing. I have been told the electronic throttle module could be the culprit. I also read on here to re-route the power lead to the starter and I did that and no luck. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

The no start issue has gotten worse. I wrapped the power lead to the starter, cleaned the throttle module, replaced the crank sensor and ran a couple new grounds, no difference. Today it was starting then stalling or not starting at all and when it finally did start the idle was going up and down on its own and it was sputtering at an idle. And if I held a high idle it would still sputter. The brake light, ABS light, STC light all came on as well as 'Brake Failure Stop Immediately' which I thought had been fixed with the new ABS module but I guess not. Only the fuel gauge worked as well at the time, the speedo, tach and coolant temp were all zeroed most of the time but the tach would hold a steady RPM reading when cranking. Also, when running the oil pressure light was on. I hooked up the scan tool and watched data and the O2 sensors were all moving and it was reading RPMS but the two things I noticed were that the 'Absolute Throttle Percentage' reading never left 9.4 even when revved and the ignition timing was almost always negative. I also pulled codes P1833 and P1631. I am now thinking this is either the ECU or possibly the throttle control module. Should I look into a new throttle module or possibly the updated fuel curves, it was never recalled on either. Any help would be awesome I am kind of at a stand still at this point.