Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2000 S80 T6 Advice Needed

Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Default 2000 S80 T6 Advice Needed

Hi Guys-

New to the forum and new to Volvos in general.

A friend has recently offered to give me (for free) a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 with 200k miles with some issues. Interior is decent and body is decent (clear-coat is starting to peel). It was his sons car and was retired due to some electrical issues. It seems that it always had a few strange electrical issues along the way, starting with intermittent drivers seat adjustments. Now the sunroof has been stuck open (finally got it to close) and the headlights flash on-off constantly – screaming “pull me over” for his teen-aged son! The car also has a pretty decent oil leak that I need to investigate.

My friend was told by a “friend of a friend” Volvo mechanic that the problem is a Body Control Module and it can only be replaced and re-programed by a Volvo dealer at the cost of $1500...haven’t been able to find any info about this...

Is this car worth spending time on??? I don’t mind putting time into this car but I am not interested in spending much money on it. I am a fairly competent mechanic performing all maintenance and repairs on my vehicles. I am also an electronics hobbyist, but I know electrical problems can be one of the most difficult problems to remedy.

I appreciate any insight that can be offered.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
NJ

Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 AM

The issues you're describing sound like the CEM (Central Electronic Module)
XemodeX can take care of that: Central Electronic Module Program Transfer for 2000 Volvo S80 | xemodex United States
Any service records on the car? (Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc) At 200kmi, I'd be really concerned about the transmission. Was it ever rebuilt? The transmissions, especially in the turbo, had more than their fair share of problems.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 AM

Disco2 - Thanks very much for your response. I was afraid it would be a CEM type problem. With 200K on this car I don't feel it's worth putting much, if any, money into. The car has been well cared for over the past 4 years, but it is all original (engine and trans).

I did read somewhere that a sunroof failure and flashing headlights could be an alarm problem, but I can't find the thread now.

I think I may pass on the car - I have enough projects!

Thanks again,
Matt