Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2000 S80 wintermode and starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S80 wintermode and starter

Hi all.

I recently bought a 2000 S80 with 105,000 miles for $2500. I bought a horde of filters, a timing belt, etc. to bring everything up to par. I bought the car knowing that there were electrical issues, considering that the mechanical aspects of the car seem to be in great condition, the exterior is near mint, and the interior is also in great shape.

The ABS module was causing several issues, and I opened it up removed all the old solder and re-soldered all of the power connections, etc. and the lights for it haven't come back on yet.

The three remaining issues are that the transmission is stuck in winter/limp home mode, the car doesn't crank when I use the key, and there is an electrical drain somewhere. The charging system light is coming on, and I'm assuming that the electric drain and starting issue are related.

For now, I have hooked up a test starter switch to the solenoid on the starter and I've wired it to the inside of the cabin so I can just turn the key to the run position and press my starter switch button and it cranks promptly. I've put a new battery in to make sure I'm starting on a clean slate with it.

In checking things out today I checked the transmission fluid and it's in great shape, clean, etc, but the level is quite higher than it's supposed to be, so I'll siphon it down to normal levels tomorrow. I'm not sure if there is a transmission oil level sensor (I'd bet 20 bucks there is, though...), so perhaps that could be the issue with the transmission.

I'm currently downloading VADIS, so I'll check into that soon.

The throttle body had been either cleaned or rebuilt already at the dealership, but I know that's not a permanent solution, but for now it's working great.

Any suggestions or things to check would be great. If not, that's okay, too, because I've really enjoyed reading through lots of old posts and getting a few things figured out already. Thanks!

Ben

(in Greenville, North Carolina)