Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2001 S80 T6 - Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S80 T6 - Won't Start

Hey all, im new to this forum but not new to working on vehicles. This S80 is/was my roommates and he has graduated and gone back home to Germany (leaving me the car..). Long story short, I was going to sell it / part it out because it does not run but I've decided to see if I can get her running instead.

I know a little bit of her history. Before it stopped running, it definitely felt like a cylinder was misfiring bad and I believe she was burning some oil.

I went in and changed all 6 plugs out. When doing this I found two interesting things. Assuming that the cylinders are numbered in order from left to right 1-6, then 1 and 6 had oil under the boot and above the plugs. I am guessing for 6 (the one near the oil fill cap) that someone probably went to put oil in and spilled A LOT. I do not have any idea for the other cylinder though.

I tried to start her up (obviously the battery is dead) by jumping it with my truck, I believe I got the starter to click, but the engine did not turn over at all.

I obviously have some ideas of things to check, such as checking if the plugs are actually sparking and then possibly going towards leaking injectors. You all know a lot more about volvos than I do so I would love some advice as how to continue on with this!

Thanks in advance

Old 06-05-2016, 04:43 PM

Before you get any farther on replacing things, try turning the harmonic balancer with a braker bar. If it won't trun the engine is seized and you're looking at a parts car.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Just a warning. This is how I started, and after I got that first one running I bought 8 more.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:22 PM

Hey all, I have not had much time to work on this baby but heres what I found out today.

Wouldnt start even with my truck jumping it, so I said "screw this" and went and got a new battery. Started right up. I could hear a bit of a knocking noise. Not like a misfire necessarily, more like actually the piston tapping on something in one of the cylinders.

I drove it around the parking lot just a little bit to try and get it to throw a code at me, and I got one!

Code: P0014

Which from what I've found has the to with the cam position sensor? Any ideas here guys?