Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2007 S80 - Reduced Engine Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S80 - Reduced Engine Performance

Hello all,

I have a 2007 Volvo S80 which for some reason and without warning would not start and gave me the error message "Reduced Engine Performance". After multiple attempts, the engine started, but with constant sputtering and hesitating. I shut off the vehicle and now it won't start again.

I have found similiar issues occuring with older vehicles because of faulty Electronic Throttle Modules, but have not seen the problem associated with this year model. Also, in the older model S80s, when the problem was the ETM, I have read where Volvo extended the warranty on the ETMs for 10 years.

My warranty expired about two months ago and am dreading taking it in to the dealer, not to mention it is sitting in my garage and not sure if I can even get it out.

Anyone experiencing a similiar issue? Any chance it is a ETM issue and if so, what are the odds Volvo will replace it for free as they did for the older model s80s?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Update:

Finally got the S80 to start this morning in limp mode and started to drive it to the Volvo dealer. After a few blocks in limp mode it began running like normal.

I continued to the dealer who hooked it up to the system and claimed it was due to a corrosive negative cable which made the battery go bad. Hmmm. It doesn't sound like the problem I was experiencing, but if that is what the computer says then we will see.

$400 fix for a battery and a new cable. We will see what happens, but I will not be happy if it happens again....not that I have much choice.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Papa, I had the same problem. Slowly ran some water out of a faucet over a corroded battery cable, problem fixed.

Apparently, the system runs on bare minimum if there's a sign of a problem--as explained to me by my local Volvo mechanic.

Hope everything else works out for you!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by big daddy russ
Papa, I had the same problem. Slowly ran some water out of a faucet over a corroded battery cable, problem fixed.

Apparently, the system runs on bare minimum if there's a sign of a problem--as explained to me by my local Volvo mechanic.

Hope everything else works out for you!

Any ideas how to reset that error message?

I tried key position one - trip reset - pos 2 - flashing light - Nope.... Didn't do it

Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by j-canada
Any ideas how to reset that error message?

I tried key position one - trip reset - pos 2 - flashing light - Nope.... Didn't do it
I had the same issue when my battery died a few weeks ago. When I finally got a jump it said reduced engine performance. After I let it idle to smooth out I started driving and the light went out. Been good ever since.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Default Reduced engine performance 05 s80

Hi I recently bought a 2005 s80 t6 and the day I bought it the battery light was on and the power system urgent text was on, it ran quiet and had no studder while driving home and I drove it an hour away. The following day I was coming back from doing some shopping and the reduced engine performance text came on and the car studdered and stalled out. I pulled over for a while and got the car to start and drove it home with no problem. I changed the battery, cables and voltage regulator but these problems still accur, this is my first Volvo so I don't know much about these cars. Did I make a mistake in buying this car or can anyone help me to resolve this issue?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

you should start by getting an OBDII code reader to view the fault codes. You can "rent" one from a store like Autozone (usually just a refundable deposit) or buy one from Harbor Freight for about $40. I'd also check the voltage of the system with a VOM as it could be an alternator issue.

PS - best to start a new thread vs adding onto a 5 year old thread on a somewhat unrelated case...

Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Default Reduced engine performance 05 s80

Thanks I will give it a try and also I'm new to this forum, I didn't want to have to get rid of the car. I'm more of a Cadillac guy but aside from the looks of car, its performance had me captivated.