Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2016 S80 spark plugs and VADIS info request

Old 01-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Default 2016 S80 spark plugs and VADIS info request

I took our 2016 S80 to the stealership for its 2 year/20K mile check up....they installed a sw 'upgrade pack' (a $150 value) and...
they did a performance service action S29842 in which they replaced the sparkplugs with volvo p/n 31673604.

#1) what does spark plug number 31673604 map to in the real world?? I asked the service mgr and was told, its a volvo part number (obviously) and there is no cross for it.....and...the newer volvos are so finicky that he would never, ever use non-volvo plugs.
OK, well, I sorta believe it but don't....anyone know what the real world auto store plug mfg is and the p/n? e.g. bosch? NGK? etc....Certainty volvo is not making special plugs on its own...if so, I've bought the wrong car..lol
I'd also like to know what was 'wrong' with the old plugs that the new plugs fixed? The SM didn't know and gave me a line about heat range, resistance, electrode wear, yada, yada, yada...sure, could be one or all of the above but what is it??

#2) I don't like the fact that as the original owner, I am charged for a sw upgrade fee. The sw updates are probably not found at all on the net, so that pretty much eliminates me doing it. It does invoke a bigger question: What diagnostic software and CD programs are there for the volvo? I was doing some reading and came across VADIS? Anyone know of any free copies out on the net? What should I be searching for, "volvo vidas 2016" or similar?
The car is still too new for me to do any wrenching on it, but the time will come and I'd like to be prepared...figure I can start reading about what is under the hood and the R&R descriptions for various things...

Along these lines, I'd love to get a polestar upgrade....for free......
Any pointers are appreciated.
Thanks
J

Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 PM

The recall for the plugs is because the old ones could crack. The new plugs are of a new and improved design, according to the recall.

I don't know what they cross to in your "real world" question. You won't need to replace them for a while.

As for software, some updates are free. Polestar is not. VADIS hasn't been around for about 13 or 14 years. VIDA can be found on ebay but it won't work with your 2016 because they switched to a subscription based program.