Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

ABS speed sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS speed sensor question

Sorry again hate being a pain Im so use to working on my RX7 and want to be Volvo savy too but I guess it will take time. My mech says that i need to replace my ABS speed sensor now i want to cut out the xtra cost for the part & get it myself because I know they get it for less than they sell it to me, My bro had a tax ID & got parts for less, anyway I want to know what is the correct part I shgould buy? I keep seeing ABS speed senor right rear & left rear or right front what should I get? My volvo of course is aS80 is a 1999 2.9 love the car very smooth running and has pretty good acceleration just hate seeing the check engine light ABS light & Stability traction Control light messages on

Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: ABS speed sensor question

I would say most likely you have a bad ABS module.
You can get it rebuilt here for about $100.00
http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...vo_V70_ABS.htm

Old 05-31-2008, 09:30 AM

Tech's probably right..I'd check into having the ABS module rebuilt first.
My 99 S80's dash was lit up like a christmas tree..Brake Failure,ABS Failure,STC failure,Urgent -Transmission Service Required and many others.Once I installed a rebuilt ABS module all the lights except the Transmission service light went out.I brought the car in to a tranny shop,they cleared the code,checked tranny,said everything was ok...havent had any problems until ECM module went.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks very much guys although it's all under warranty I don't want to spend uneccesary time at the mechanic or leaving the car there for days or weeks at a time. Do you guys think I should trust the ABS modules that people sell on e-bay ? I really am very new to the Volvo not sure how I got Volvo into my head when used car shopping but somehow It clicked & I kept searching for it til I got one & now after reading so many negative post's about the car I want to keep my experience with Volvo a good one. I know the car cant be as bad as people say so many Volvo clubs have negative posts about the car But I think I read Tech say it's just people with problems come to complain on the forums It's a little scary but Im sorta patient. But getting back to the topic should I trust e-bay for that type of part ?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 PM

would not fool with ebay on this one send your unit to victor or bba reman you will be better off

Old 06-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: diehardgator1

would not fool with ebay on this one send your unit to victor or bba reman you will be better off
+1

Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 PM

OK thanks have you guys sent your ABS modules out to Victor ? Im new at this Volvo life so Im trying to get thinbgs done with out the stress. Money is gonna get tighter if gas keeps going higher & groceries keep goin higher , So i want to get it done without having to have it sent back & forth with problems. You guys are the veterans at this so I follow your suggestions. Im in NYC how do I get ahold of Victor & do I have to be on foot for a while or can i just buy it & send the core afterwards like pay for it in full then send the core & get money back type of thing ?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM

I used bba reman but lots of people used Victor You will not go wrong with either one They are both very good

Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM

one last question hopefully My warranty covers the abs sensor should I trust the mechanic's or the Volvo dealers to do the job or just shell out the cost of the part? You guys seem to already have gone through this & It may sound corny but i do value your advice. Thanks again with the help

Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 PM

I forgot to ask the BBA sell the unit's & how do I find the link for them I saw I guess it was victors site which Tech posted. At the moment I took the insurance off of my RX7 so I really need the transportation so if i can get it quicker it works for me because with Victor I have to get someone to take it off & send it knowing me fedex next day. Just so I dont wait long

Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 AM

I was about to send to Victor but in the process found that BBA is 15 minutes from my house (what are the chances),
I walked it in to BBA 4pm Friday before memorial andI got a call the following Tuesday afternoon that it was done.
I installed it and so far so good, I was getting the error message everyday before.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks Contsi. Im gonna purchase one from them they e-mailed me back . I e-mailed them some questions now i just need to get the part number so I can orer it and have my mech change it &amp\\;amp\\; send the core back. Glad to have found this forum If not for reading here I would have thought that i got myself in over my head with this Volvo, But the post here that have been possitive about the car have allieviated my worries

Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Removing the module was fairly simple, only had to remove the air fillter container to have full acess to the module. I did buy the E5 torx socket to remove the 4 bolts butI guess it can be done with a particular standard socket. I was fortunate not to have to buy a replacement or ship mine. It's insane what they want to charge to do this at a repair shop. If you need me to communicate anything to bba for you just let me know I live close to their shop.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Im going to buy the refurbished one & was considering sending it to my mechanic but if it's a simple task i think i wil do it myself. Do you have to get anything reset by Volvo ? & can i get the socket at any auto parts store ? BBA sent me a link to an e-bay store that i guess is there's guess I feel more comfortable doin the PayPal thing hopefully by next week I can send for it. Or is it worth letting the mechanic's put a new one since i have a warranty that covers the transmissin & abs components ?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 AM

I'm somewhat confused, if it's under warranty then why not have them do it. The socket is not very popular unless you go online, it's on the Sears site for about 5 bucks but there is a tool store next town from me that had it, I just called around until I found it.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Just figure that the mechanic I delt with the last time was such a cry baby about telling the warranty people how he came to find out that it was the abs sencsor & he just practically cried about writing it & faxing his findings to the warranty people & i figure I just might as well just buy the part & not prolong the problem will try one more mechanic on friday after that i just buy the part & get it donr