General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

ABS speed sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS speed sensor question

It's prob a common question but i couldnt find it on the forum maybe I overlooked it sorry if thats so. My question is can the ABS speed sensor on a 88 volvo S80 2.9 cause the check enigine, transmission service ,STL & on occasion I've had the Brake failuremessage which i cant remember it completely but tells me to stop slowly also steering wheel service wow alot of messages, butcan itmake those messages pop up ? A mechanic shop which I trust here in NYC ran a Diag test & they said that the ABS speed sensor wasnt sending messages to the computers like transmission & others so thats what they determined but they said it could also be the ABS unit also they are gonna change the ABS sensor once the warranty people ok the work. But I want to be sure that this is something that may be cause by that sensor or could there be more than what the Diagnostic check could read? Would appreciate the help since im taking off of work this coming week to have them correct the porblems . I really like the car very comfortable & drives well havent really felt any prob except for those messages & the STL turning on once i turn the car on, haven't felt any slip on the tranny , my old taurus had the speed sensor fail & I felt the slip in the tranny but not here

Old 05-25-2008, 05:32 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ABS speed sensor question

Hi,

I'm not privy to the S80s, but a trouble in the ABS system generally should not turn on CEL or Tranny message/warning light. The speedometer, though may be receiving the speed signal from the ABS module, whichis the case with the 850s.

FYI, visit a local Autozone or other parts shopsthat provide free diagnostic service to see if there are trouble codes stored in the ECU. They can usuallyread codes from engine & tranny ECUs but may not be able to do so on ABS and other electronic systems.

JPN

Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks will see if I go to Auto Zone see if they do the free Diag check if not I'll try Pep Boys. Will also tell the dealer about the prob I have encountered. Was thinking since I brought a warranty maybe I should go to Volvo here in NYC to see if they can repair the prob, The built it so I figure they should know what the prob is can't be the first 99 S80 to encounter this problem

Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If not done yet, have the following recalls done at the dealer. The dealers must fix recall items with no charge to customers. The recall items may or may not be related to your problem.

http://www.autobuyguide.com/1999/12-...lls/index.html

JPN