Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

altenator question

Old 11-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Default altenator question

Does anyone know what the Altenator puts out for amps for the 2001 s80 t6? Also for the t6 executive?

I've been thinking of upgrading my altenator, basically I dont want my car to dim from it playing, and I intend of adding more, so I am thinking that upgrading the altenator is really the only option?

And my next question is I guess would be about the fitment?

I have a 5 farad alumnapro cap hooked to both of the amps, and the battery is stock. Would grounding with bigger gauge cables help at all?

Old 11-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Default RE: altenator question

I don't think that a larger gauge cable would help with the power situation. How much power are you pushing from your amps?

If you are putting out some major wattage you may want to look into an upgrade, but otherwise I would just stick with the stock one until it gives out. I've had some hella stereos in my day, and I've never had an issue with the stock alternator not putting out enough.

My last question would be are your lights dimming a lot or is it minor?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 AM

Im pushing about 1000 watts RMS for the sub and 450 watts RMS for the speakers inside of the car......

It dims from the bright green letters to a lower shade of green on the dashboard LED's-its as if you turned down the lighting controll all the way, the headlights do dim some..... its not that bad...

1500 watts isnt too much is it? its run through a 5 farad cap... I guess it really depends on the day because sometimes is doesnt dim at all, and other times it dims really bad....

Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 AM

It's all about the BASS man!!! hahah

That's a good amount of power. You are right around 1500 watts RMS and your peak is probably double that during heavy loads. As you know the cap can help with that some, but will not completely eliminate it.

If you don't have a problem with dropping money on a larger alternator, it would take care of your issues, but I would ride it out until I started to pull larger loads. But that's just me!

Have you done any research into larger alternators? What do the run for the Volvo's???

Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 PM

I have the s80 t6, I guess there is a s80 t6 Executive model which has a refridgerator, Navigation, more electrical, its about 400 for the altenator and about 400 for the labor to install it, and that will also fit my model too....

Heh all my equiptment is JL audio, 1000/1,450/4 and a 13w7.....I want to add another 1000/1 with another 13w7.... But I dont think my car can handle it lol.... Thats why im thinkin its time to get a bigger altenator.....

but I guess in actuallity its fine the way its runnining now.... If i get another 1000/1 amp...... Is there anythin else I can do so that it doesn't strain my car?

You should see the faces i get when I pull into the volvo Dealership lol its priceless.....

But when they use to work on my car they would complain with all the stuff, especially under factory warranty, but since i got the extended warranty they never complain about it being in the way of the repairs lol...

Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Those JL monoblock amps are freaking' awesome! Nice setup man!

Having a cap I've heard is kind of like a double edge sword. What I mean by that is the same amount of power is still getting pulled from the battery/alternator, it's just the timing and duration of that pull. The cap dips into it's reserves for the peak power hits, and helps level off the power demands for your car.

If you are looking into the possibility of adding another 1000/1 I would most certainly look into upgrading the alternator. I completely empathize with you, it drives me nuts when lights dim in my car. The alternator should defianately help out with that.

It sounds like the new amp is made for much heavier loads, but I would ensure that the actual amperage increase is significant. I prefer quantitative versus qualitative evidence for purchases of that magnitude with my vehicles, but that's just me! hahah

By the way, I have retired from my old car audio days. It's much to easy for folks to break into vehicles and walk off with your stuff. I used to live in rural america where that wasn't an issue, but alas in Austin TX, you've got to be careful with those kinds of things!

Now home audio, that's a different story! hahah Although I do miss the days of putting out so much bass I could barely drive straight down the road! hahah

Old 11-30-2006, 07:10 PM

With all that power, Im surprised i dont see the bolts in my car comming undone lol, - my trunk even though its dynamatted with like 6 layers its Still rattles a Lot lol...

but I guess I could add a second battery?(Small one) or upgrade my main battery to a yellow top optima battery....More cold cramking amps might help...

Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 PM
reg

Gordon, I believe the power for your auto..........indeed, all autos, comes from the battery and not directly off from the alternator. With that said, perhaps what you may want to look into is a higher capacity battery.

r.

ORIGINAL: gordon368

With all that power, Im surprised i dont see the bolts in my car comming undone lol, - my trunk even though its dynamatted with like 6 layers its Still rattles a Lot lol...

but I guess I could add a second battery?(Small one) or upgrade my main battery to a yellow top optima battery....More cold cramking amps might help...

Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 PM
reg

Sorry..........I don't think I explained what I was driving at. If the lamps are dimming, then your battery is not up to par. The alternator simply 'loads' the battery with power and then the power is drawn from the battery. If the battery cannot handle the drain from it, then the battery is the culprit and not the alternator. As to the optima battery, its primary purpose was/is for racing as it is sealed. I use one for that purpose. It is no more powerful than what you can obtain from Interstate (Volvo's authorized N.A. battery supplier) or Sears. Good luck.

r.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:06 AM

"reg" makes a good point! The idea is that by upgrading the alternator, you will help the battery with it's increased load. Increasing the battery capacity will help, plus Optima's look cool!

If you were going to do one fix, then I would just follow through with the other. The battery may help for a while, but it could end up killing the life of it and end up being an expensive and short term bandaid.

As far as "rattling apart" (and I've been there before! hahah), these Volvo's are built like tanks if nothing else! It does surprise me that with that much dyno matt you continue to get that kind of vibrations! But then again these are the W7's we're talkig about! hahah

I used to have a 15"JLW6, and I absolutely, possitively loved that sub.
Is your enclosure ported? Another thing you could look into is a custom enclosure with the port going into the cab of the car (this is of course if you haven't already done this). It would help with the air pressure changes and may decrease some of the adverse "bass" effects on your trunk! You would also get some sick increases in your SPL, and the "clean" sound every audiophile strives for would be there.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:24 AM

i looked into the Yellow top Optima's, problem is, that the terminals are built backwards so the positive cable isnt long enough to reach it.....

Yah my 13w7 is ported, Its so loud hahah... The sub itself is so massive it ways 52lbs for a speaker ! lol

I thought about have the ports directly aim right throught the rear deck speakers(ofcourse take those out-rear deck speakers) but that box would be way to big lol, this is probably the loudest setup which takes up minimal trunk space. -its effiecient but loud..

For some reason thought it dims more in the morning then at night.....

i think a second battery with an isolator would do the trick now....

Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM

Sounds good to me! I don't think there is a wrong answer to your "issue" if you an even call it that!

You can get just as many CCA's out of a non Optima battery as you do out of an Optima battery! But those yellow tops look soooooo purrrrrty!

Old 12-02-2006, 04:51 AM

yah they are so diesal

Old 12-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: gordon368

Heh all my equiptment is JL audio, 1000/1,450/4 and a 13w7.....I want to add another 1000/1 with another 13w7.... But I dont think my car can handle it lol.... Thats why im thinkin its time to get a bigger altenator.....
I wish I had that much power for my cars.

I am stuck with less than 500 Watts.

320 for the 2 12's (Serwin Vegas) Which hit hard considering
130 for the fronts. (Way under powered for the speakers.

Need to look into more Amps.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:29 PM

IMHO, I would start by replacing your current battery with an Optima Yellow-Top battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...eep_cycle.html

Then, given the relative difficulty of replacing the alternator, I would even think about adding a second Optima yellow top in parallel with the first.

Also, you might want to mount a voltmeter somewhere that you can watch your vehicle voltage while you are driving and playing your stereo.

I'm sure you know that a fully charged battery will provide about 12-12.5V while a car alternator will put out between 13.5V - 14V.

When you are running with the stereo pumping, as long as your voltage is staying above 12V, then you have "enough" although the larger alternator might help keep it more towards the 14V mark.

Lots of car audio guys put in larger alternators and/or overdrive pulley's on their alternators to max out their voltage, because their amps run at higher watts the more power you give them, and if you are competing (or want to pretend that you are competing) for dBs, then higher voltage = higher watts = higher dBs.

The capacitor will only really help flatten out if your lights are dimming in synch with your bass hits. If your lights aren't dimming to the beat of the music, then you have enough capacitance, if they are, then you either need more (5 farad is more than enough) or you need to move the capacitor closer to the amp. Also, I don't know what guage wire you are using to feed your amps, but too small of a wire could be causing them to pull even more power than they need because of the loss due to wire resistance, and the length of the run. Also, is the power to your amps fed directly off of the battery?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:12 PM

They run through the Capicitor and then to the battery. This type of Capicitor also has a relay. I am using 4 gauge wire, made by monster. The thing with the yellowtop battery is that the for some reason the positive cable is not long enough to reach the positive terminal on the yellow top battery.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM

I have found out from many forums that cap's dont do nothing..... lol interesting...

Is i true that volvo makes a double din dash kit?? for the s80?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:08 PM

I'm not sure exactly how a relay would work with a stiffening capacitor, or why it would need one. I haven't seen a relay on any of the ones I have used. The capacitor DOES help for certain things in certain circumstances....most specifically when the lights dim every time a bass beat hits, add a capacitor, problem solved.

Also, the capacitor should be connected in parallel to the equipment, not in series with it.

I haven't looked at fitting a yellow top battery in our standard battery location....my guess is that there has to be one that will fit. It may require some modification or extension of the power cable, but if you aren't able to extend the power cable, I'm guessing that swapping the alternator may be a little beyond your abilities.

You may want to find a reputable local car stereo shop and see what recommendations they have for you....