Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Brakes problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes problem

Hi, I have Volvo s80 1999 2.4 petrol.
I have recently changed front brake pads with independent garage. They said that in 3000mil I'll have to change rear discs and pads.
Brakes work strange when hot. When brake slightly under 30m/h sometimes I hear a bang sound, feel brake pedal falling down a bit and noice like there is no brake pads left. It is not always but quite often. I thought that I'll get rid of it when they change front brake pads. Didn't help.
I just bought rear discs and pads and wait for delivery. Hope it will help but I am worry that it could be something with ABS system rather than just brake discs and pads.

Did someone have similar problem?

Greets
Mariusz

Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brakes problem

Did you replace the discs on the front brakes also?

I have heard that you need to replace the discs and the pads at the same time. I just pay the dealership to do them though so I can't offer any other insight.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Hello,
Thanks for answer.
Ididn't replaced discs.An independentgarage said that they are fine and don't need to be changed.
Ihave paid 120GBP, only for front pads+service soI just have bought rear discs and pads and going tochange them on my own this time.Ihope it won't be difficult.
If you advise me thatI should change front discs as well I'm gonna buy them too.

Greets
Mariusz

ps. I forgot about one more thing. This time about transmission.
Sometimes when I change a gear from N to D ore vice versa I hear silent "bang" and feel that engine pulls a bit for a moment. Sometimes gear shifts smooth, but sometimes not. There is no messages on dash board about transmission. Just have done full service, so they changed oil and everything else they suposed to change.

Greets again
Mariusz

Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, everything I've heard is that when you do the pads you have to do the discs too! The optimal specs for these discs are a lot different than other cars, so it's worth your money and time just to get both done at the same time.

As for the transmission, that's pretty odd?!?!? I know that the transmission has a shift lock that disallows you from shifting from Drive to Reverse while the car is still moving, that can make an audiable click and you can sometimes feel it on the shifter.

If it isn't shifting smoothly all the time you may want to have them take a look at your transmission. That's some big bucks to repair! $$$$$

Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 PM

I know that all of you has knowledge with regards to car parts, I just want to know if there are types of brake pads?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Hi sheena,

The type of brake pads depends on the intended use of the vehicle, from very soft and agressive and harder, more durable and less agressive compounds. Most vehicle manufacturers recommend a specific compound of brake pad for their vehicle, but compounds can be changed according to personal tastes and driving styles.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:34 PM

Hi, i had a garage change mine and within a few days noticed the steering wheel vibrating when braking and lots of noises also when braking. Turns out that the machanic lost a wire type clamp that sits on the calipers. Check for the outside wire clamps on the outside of the calipers, might be the prob. Hope that helps.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 AM

had my brakes replaced about 1 year ago pads only aftermaket pads. Several months a go had all kinds problems pulling when applying brakes and a clunking metal sound the first time brakes where applied just replaced them with Volvo pads All sins where corrected Sometimes it does not pay to try and save 20.00 on aftermaket pads