Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Buying Parts and Paying for Labor

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Parts and Paying for Labor

Hi,

I have a used 2001 S80 T6 and I need to have my front wheel assembly and outer right tierod replaced. I was going to purchase the following and then call up places to see who is willing to install outside parts.

wheel hub assembly (and four bolts):
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...2899-06%29+GMB

tie rod:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ht+%2800-03%29

Does anyone know of any well known auto places that will provide labor for outside parts? Any other advice would help too.

Thank You

Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 AM

Most places won't install parts your bring to them, unless you happen to know the owner/shop well. The reason is that part of the labor rates and the price difference between wholesale and retail prices charged on parts is the profit the business needs to stay open.

People say labor rates are very high, and in some senses they are, but you have to think about the overhead of a shop. There are parts, machines, insurance (which is crazy high), warranty coverages (ie. warranty parts and labor for 1 year - parts would be manufacturer, labor though comes out of pocket), rent, and of course salary/compensation among others.

My brother owned a shop and I can tell you, at the end of the day, it's not a huge profit machine like people think.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Auto shops are like physicians in some ways. It's a good idea to keep the same GP so that he knows your idiosyncrasies. That way he doesn't wind up running a lot of unnecessary tests, and maybe every once in a while they'll let you just call in to get a prescription filled and not have to make an appointment or pay for an office visit. It's the same with your car.
Find a shop that has treated your friends well and develop a relationship with the shop, they'll know your car and your budget and they'll be able to you good a lot better advice than a shop that doesn't know you well. And they may let you bring in your own parts every once in a while too.
If you call around and say "um, yeah, i have these parts i want you to install for me and i want to pay as little money as possible" you're not going to hear a lot of enthusiasm. At least not from qualified shops...
Just my .02 as a previous shop owner myself (body shop).

Last edited by wamcneil; 01-14-2011 at 12:50 PM.