Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Changing Inner Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Inner Tie Rod

Can someone help me out on how to change my inner tie rods? They are really bad I went to get an allingment and they said until i change them i can't do it.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Default RE: Changing Inner Tie Rod

turning the wheel as far as it will go in the opposite direction of the tie rod you are replacing will make it easier. if you are replacing the driverside front turn it to the right as much as you can.first of all pb blaster all of the threads/nuts on the tie rod inner and outer assembly. measure the distance from the outer tie rod end to the small clamp on the inner tie rod so you can get the toe set as closely as possible to oem specs. then loosen the pinch nut between inner and outer tie rod.usually a 7/8 wrench will do. loosen outer tie rod to wheel knuckle/spindle assembly. remove dust cover, which involves 2 clamps.. one small and one large. then use either a special tool from volvo or a tie rod removal tool. if you cant get to either of those i have been able to get a good pair of vise grips on the inner tie rod end and break it loose, and then screw it out. take some brake cleaner, clean the inside of the rack where the inner screws in, make sure you dry it out well. then apply some thread locker to the threads on the inner tie rod and screw it back in, getting it as tight as possible. then reverse steps to reinstall. put boot and clamps back on, then outer tie rod pinch nut and then tie rod.. using the measurements adjust toe as closly as possible. reinstall and tighten all fastners properly. then get it aligned asap...

Old 07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Default RE: Changing Inner Tie Rod

Thanks alot thats great help. Do you happen to have any diagrams im trying to buy the cd VADIS but it won't come in for a while and I'm changing the tie rods tomm.