Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

Ive had my 2000 S-80 T-6 for about 5 months now check engine light has been on for about 4 months of that the dealer said it was a fuel cap problem. I replaced with a autozone fuel cap still hasnt cleared. Another problem that just happened today I was passing up another car and all of a sudden I lost lots of power. Accleration was horrible almost like it was misfiring. Check Engine light was flashing flashed maybr 6- 7 times then went back to being stady on. Tried acclerating a few more times did the exact same thing everytime any ideas? I have had the software updated about 3 times now so i know software should be good.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Default RE: Check Engine Light

I would replace the fuel filter to start. I got mine from eEuroparts. Very easy to replace. Just use the car jack that came with the volvo, lift the passenger side and you will see the filter underneath the car right under the rear passenger seat. Remove the tape and press-in on the clips and pull the tube out. Make sure you car is off and key out. You will see a quart of fuel spill, so be prepare for it. It's a 15 min job.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:17 PM

I took it to the dealer today they said it was a bad coil pack on cylinder #3, and they said my spark plugs needed to be replaced. I did the suggested repair then had them reset the computer. Everytime I have them reset the computer my car acts real sluggish while acclerating doesnt get up to speed very fast either is that a normal thing when they reset the computer like that ? I will try the fuel filter replacement as well have no clue when that was replaced so that might help a bit.So far I drove about 30 miles still real sluggish no check engine light though. amy other ideas ?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 PM

I took the s-80 for a test drive tonight to see if the hesitation went away or not. The hesitation infact did go away but then check engine light came back on. I did notice when i put in drive its a little slow till about 4k rpm then picks up like a bat at of hell this is in firstgear mind you. When it shifts to second gear it drops all the way down to about 3500 rpm acts sluggish till about 5k rpm is that normal? Is that turbo lag or something i cant see it just lose alll the boost pressure cause of shifting. Could it maybe be the Turbo Control Valve ? Any info or if anyone has had similiar problems to this and fill me in how they fixed it would be much appreciated

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had the ETM software update?

I would take it back to the dealership and tell them to do a full diagnostic. It sounds like you aren't getting the full story from them, and you have the right to be a bit agitated about that.

When your car leaves the dealership, it should be running perfectly, unless they stated that further service was required that you declined to have done.

Your car should not be acting sluggish after getting the computer reset. It sounds like the ETM problem that these cars are known to have. It's a cheap fix ($50-$100), and it makes a HUGE difference.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:11 PM

This is why I hate this car, even the dealer can't troubleshoot exactly what's really wrong. They end up replacing this and that and you are left with a complete hatred of the car. With that said.

Here's what I think. But it's going to cost you a lotttttt if the dealer does it. Given the dealer had already got their hands on it, I figured all software are up to date. So what else could be this issue? ETM needs cleaning, Turbo Control Valve needs replacement. I'm not sure if you can do it yourself, but in either case, it should end up at the dealer to reset the computer. Dealer won't clean the ETM unless if the trouble code tells them to. So, if you can do it yourself, then come back on and ask or search for help regarding each topic.

Remember,engine runs= air + fuel + spark. Looks like they took care of "spark". The only thing left.. you know what.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:57 PM

Check Engine light came back on after having it cleared today. I asked a question in my previous post

"I did notice when i put in drive its a little slow till about 4k rpm then picks up like a bat at of hell this is in firstgear mind you. When it shifts to second gear it drops all the way down to about 3500 rpm acts sluggish till about 5k rpm is that normal?"

I did a few searches on hesitation while acclerating I took the advice of cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor. It took all my hesitation away i can acclerate through all the gears now with no lag between ****s or anything i only tested 1st through 3rd gear by that time i was going way to fast for the posted speed of 50 hehe. I had the codes checked tonight with a standard obd II reader came up with codes of 1171 and 1181 Electronic Fuel Managment any ideas what that means, since i have no problem with accleration now ? Gas cap has been replaced.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Air + Fuel + Spark

By now, you took care of Air and Spark, and the code tells you Fuel. heheh.. no matter how much computer ended up controlling things, but can never change the fundamental. Well... for gas engine that is.

Three main parts in a fuel delivery system: pump, filter, and injectors. If you have notchanged the fuel filter, start there. Very easy, do it yourself. I'm not a mechanic by trade, so I'm still unfamiliar with the s80 fuel system. Maybe others can help you with that, including the codes.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got done talking with my Volvo Dealership and asked them what maintenance I may have due. I asked them if they recommend any sort of fuel injection cleaning to be done by them, and I was told that it was not necessary.

If you want to go extreme, you could take it to the dealership and ask them to to drop the fuel tank and do a full up flush of that and the fuel system. I had this done on my 2000 Grand Prix as the previous owner used some low grade fuel that left some nasty deposits in my fuel tank that jacked up my whole fuel system. I would go with the easier options first though.

You could run some standard injector cleaner if you wanted to. If you haven't changed your fuel filter that'd be the first place to start. I've seen instructions for changing it in the forums, so give it a try.