Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Check Engine Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Problems

I am new to forum, but have found a few things that I have used to combat the devil that seems to always invade my car!!! I have appreciated all help, but this time I think it is a little more serious....

I have a 2000 S80 with 90k. For the last month or so, my CEL has come and gone on a daily basis. (One day it is on, next 2 days off, on for 2 days, gone for 1..very intermittent). I went to AutoZone and they said the O2 Oxygen sensor was bad, as well as an ignition coil malfunction. How long can I go with these problems if the CEL only comes on every now and then. I have been reading about the CRC mass air flow cleaner, as well as purchasing parts online instead of at dealership and wonder if that is something my local mechanic can do, since I live 1.5 hours from Volvo dealership and lord knows how much this will cost!!! I do want to get problem fixed, since I am 7 months pregnant, but can't fathom spending thousands of $ on something that I can get cheaper around town!! PLEASE HELP!! any suggestions/comments welcome

Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine Light Problems

I wouldn't go to long.
But yes you can buy them online and have someone install them. But Buy only an OEM replacement O2 sensor.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't go by what Autozone says anout the codes, they are just guessing. Volvo codes aren't in Autozone data base. I work ther for 7 yrs. If it's reading and intermitent o2 sensor, it's probably just the connection. dirty or corroded terminals. Mine comes on mostly when it raining, or wet out. Unfortunatly, to get to the connection, the exhaust system needs to be dropped down.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tschadt

Don't go by what Autozone says anout the codes, they are just guessing. Volvo codes aren't in Autozone data base. I work ther for 7 yrs. If it's reading and intermitent o2 sensor, it's probably just the connection. dirty or corroded terminals. Mine comes on mostly when it raining, or wet out. Unfortunatly, to get to the connection, the exhaust system needs to be dropped down.
The O2 sensor connections are not near the exhaust. They are on the transmission just inside the L/F tire. To replace the sensors themselves yes the exhaust needs to be dropped.

Also the S80's don't have problems with dirty connections for the sensors. When the codes come up the sensors are bad.