Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Check engine service light

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine service light

Well I have spent quite a bit of time reading on this site. Its book marked now, great stuff. My car has the "Check Engine Emission". The car has 135,000 miles so I have a lot of stories that could be told, some other time. I use a Harrison code reader with software on my lap top. The car put up the message and basically put it in limp mode. Cannot drive the car. It will idle but it haunts. The codes that have come are TCI-P0103, Mass & Volume air flow circuit high input. Pending code P0305.
Talked to the Tech at the Volvo dealer. Here is what he suggested. Change the original front 02 sensors, done.
New coil for number 5 cylinder and plugs (Volvo plugs), done.
Spray carb cleaner around intake manifold to check for idle to even out, done. No Change. Important note here. When I changed the plugs they all looked very crapy. Somewhat surprised, whenever I have changed them in the past they have looked excellent.

Have new Mass Air Flow meter on order and shall clean, new one year old, "ETM".

Have I missed anything?

Old 07-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Check engine service light

Have you had the recall software installed?

Old 07-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Yup, six months ago new fuel pump, software update.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator

But did it include the ETM recall software?

Old 07-29-2006, 02:04 PM

Don't know, but the ETM was replaced in Feb. 2006.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

I believe the Recall software came after that.
The ETM could also throw the MassFlow code as well. But wouldn't throw the Cylinder #5 missfire.
Have you tried cleaning the Mass Flow?

Old 07-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Just completed this on this wife's V70XC. My car is coming back into the garrage. Give me a few hours, shall report back. The wife mobile was acting up as well as mine. Maybe that is all was needed. I know we both travel a lot but it almost seems that they need cleaning every 30K miles.
Thanks
Mark L.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I would say you are about right.
Also might want to clean the throttle body.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:38 PM

Is the throttle body and ETM the same thing?

Would you have the torgue specs for the top engine mount bolts? Doing this as well.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 06:25 PM

Once again, good news bad news. Its NOt the ETM, pretty darn clean. While the car was stumbling to keep idle I pulled the plug to the MAF, car stopped immediately. I think have just about run out of ideas.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Could still be a bad MAF if you haven't installed the new one yet.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:31 PM

Got a used MAF today and threw it in after cleaning the ETM. The P0103 went away
but the haunting idle remains and after 5 min of running the car will not accelerate until I clear the code. Then I can drive a few hundred more yards.

One question I have is, if I happened to have switched the front 02 connections would this cause these results. May check that out tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Possible but not sure.
I think they only connect one way.

You also have to watch some of the S80's require software when installing a new MAF.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:27 PM

Correct, they only plug in one way but there are two and if I reversed the order would that effect performance.

Well this morning put in new fuel filter. I had a new fuel pump installed 4 months ago and it didn't look like this had been changed, can't remember. Started the car, cleared the codes went for a short drive. 1/4 mile later check engine light emission goes on. But instead of a P0305 it is sending out a P0300 code. That maybe good.
Have to run some errands. Next check connections to fuel injectors and maybe try some injector cleaner.

One last thing, I notice a lot of problems don't have conclusions. What does this mean, people end up going to the dealer for the fix and are so disgusted they don't finish the dialouge? Just curious. If I ever finish this I shall make it a point to report back here.

Thanks for everything.

Work done so far: Various codes: P0171, P0103, P0305, P0300

New front 02 sensors- The rear ones were replace 6 months ago.
New "used" MAF-
New Volvo spark plugs-
Fuel filter-

Are we having fun yet?

Old 07-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Yes we are been there done that before!!! LOL

Old 07-30-2006, 02:06 PM

Hey, got your email. I don't know that our problems were exactly the same, but I'll lend as much support as I can. I'm not a Volvo technician, but I'm a spendthrift that doesn't believe it forking out dollars for guesswork. As you probably are discovering, even the best in their fields aren't always right.

Tech, may be able to confirm this, but I believe VIDA/Vadis will generate a code if you have the front sensors installed incorrectly (swapped with each other). Besides, it's a stretch for Bank 1 (or the passenger side sensor) to reach the harness connector for Bank 2. Not that it can't or hasn't been done, but I don't think you can accidently get them wrong.

First, you will need to track down the reason for your MISFIRE code. It will prevent accurate probe diagnosis since it's primary even to the sensor feedbacks. Remember when you changed your plugs, how crappy they looked. I'm assuming you're referring to how fouled they were. Well, in less than 5 minutes, if your PCM is maxing out the STFT, they will again foul. So, for redundancy's sake remove the plugs and clean them with C & C cleaner and reinstall.

Also, don't take this as an insult, but have you been "resetting" your fuel trims to baseline after each repair? Your fuel trims are adaptive and will "accrue" over use and if they're not cleared after a repair, the PCM will continue to use what's in KAM to use as current trim.

I see you're online, so if you could answer those, I'll check back later and we can go from there.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:25 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. yea I left the computer on so it looked like I was online. Sorry about that. To answer your question I have been clearing the codes after each aspect of the repair. I'll take the plugs out and clean them and reinstall.
Thanks all for the comments.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:39 PM

Could you explain this in a way that I can comprehind this better.

"Also, don't take this as an insult, but have you been "resetting" your fuel trims to baseline after each repair? Your fuel trims are adaptive and will "accrue" over use and if they're not cleared after a repair, the PCM will continue to use what's in KAM to use as current trim."

All I have been doing is clearing the codes.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2006, 03:55 PM

Pulled the plugs. Number 5 plug didn't look like it was firing, although I did replace the coil to this one. Cleaned off and sitting to dry.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:20 PM

OK, Cleaned all plugs, checked connections to injectors. Unpluged and reconnected. Cleared codes., Started car after a couple of minutes pulled the famous P0305, misfire.

Last resort, new MAF, Monday? Then to the bottomless pit. DEALER

Quick Reply: Check engine service light