Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

coolant leaking/escaping after heater core bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leaking/escaping after heater core bypass

1999 Volvo S80 T6 with 105k miles

First off, I searched the forums and Google... alot. Lots of folks with almost same problem. Fixes range from new coolant reservoir cap to heater hoses to radiator. But, I feel like I have a new/different problem and I can't figure it out.

After I bypassed the heater core, my car seemed fine, but then a leak seemed to get worse and worse. The car leaks alot of water quickly, but then stops leaking. It hasn't overheated yet (which is why I'm puzzled), very steady at normal temp with normal heat up in the morning. I recently tried something: I popped the hood, opened the coolant reservoir cap, cranked the car, topped off the reservoir, and waited. Water began to come back out the top of the reservoir. At first, I thought it must be normal, but it was coming out so quickly and for so long that it just doesn't seem normal. I thought maybe the hose I installed to bypass the heater core must have been kinked, so I added more hose and looped the hose nicely and used another elbow ... but, my efforts were in vain. Problem is exactly the same. Uses exactly same amount of water after 20+ minutes driving each time to fill it back up (after it sits and cools down of course). Doesn't matter if I drive it for a week without topping off coolant, still takes exact same amount (about 0.75 gallon).

I get the feeling something is trapped somewhere. How do I break it free?

(I'm still assuming it's not the head gasket, if it is... I'm just gonna drive it until it dies, unless someone in Honolulu wants a 99 S80 for about $2000)

Old 04-24-2011, 05:04 PM

Ok found the leak. Pretty easy to fix, it's the hose out of bottom of reservoir. Makes sense. Tried to delete my thread, but couldn't, so I just rated it as 'terrible' so others won't waste time reading.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 PM

I had the same issue on the bottom of my res... replaced the hose and clamps walla!