Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Dead tranny in the S80, need help on replacement? Is this a GM trans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead tranny in the S80, need help on replacement? Is this a GM trans?

Guys, my mechanic today finally had time to drop the pan and do the filter and gasket. He was also going to do a flush until he looked at the magnet. The magnet on the pan was FULL of metal chips. It was about 1" high full to that mater. He said the clutches are going which is why it's slipping.

He replaced the filter and gasket and it seems to shift a little better but the damage is done. It needs to be replaced.

When he got the trany filter from Volvo he recognized it right away as a GM kit! What trany exactly is in this car? It must be a GM trany and he thinks he can get the same trany out of a GM than a Volvo.

I think I read that it's the GM 3800 trans. Is this correct and they made two models a standard and one that bolted to the impalla supercharged.

Can anyone help me with this. My car is an 04 S80 T6 Turbo.
Thanks
Spankey

Old 10-23-2010, 01:00 PM

I did some research is it safe to say this is the trany in the T6?

4T65EV-GT

Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, the 6 cylinder S80 had the GM trans. Much fewer problems than the XC90 though

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 PM

spanky i just bought an 04 s80 t6 what mileage do you have on yours??
When did you see problems what mileage?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM

commo- sorry I didn't get an email that there was a reply or I would have replied sooner.

I bought the car two years ago with 75,000 on it. Clean car fax and everything, one owner. Turns out I had nothing but problems. Mostly suspension issues. New Front lower control arms, ball joints, linkage, struts and mounts and numerous alignments.

About a month ago with no signs I was driving to work and coming to a red light and the car when slowing banged twice. I almost crapped! I started to drive and I could hear some grinding that wasn't there before. I was so ticked. Sure enough about a few days later the car started to slip getting worse and worse. Had the fluid changed and filter and seemed better. There was however a ton of metal on the magnet which isn't good!!!!

Two days later I was passing someone on the highway and sure enough the car threw a misfire and the car was stuck in 3rd gear from there. The misfire is most likely a coil which is no big deal, the car went to the shop. They are rebuilding my transmission and it turns out my rear gear is shaved which was all the metal flakes in the pan. NO warnings nothing and bam. Dead trans. Volvo says there aren't any issues with the S80 trans's but its funny they place this same trans in the V90's (hope thats right) and they have ton's of issues. Most likely due to being heavier and such.

My car has 128,000 on it when the trans went out. Funny thing is and this came right from Volvo North America..."if you were having the work done at a Volvo Dealer, then we might be able to help you out"..... So then are you saying there is an issue??????

I love my car. Great performance, comfortable and safe but not very reliable.......Such a shame as these car's aren't cheap and nor are their parts either.....

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

I have had to transmission rebuilds in my S80

Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Man that sucks. Turns out when I went to see the car in pieces as the mechanic was waiting on a part he shown me the part in question that failed. My rear planetary gear went. All the little gears on the part were shredded off.

The guy told me this is the "modified" part Volvo incorporated into the transmission! It's also a very hard to obtain part as well. Sucked. My car was up on a lift for one week while he waited to get the part shipped to him.

So, a $200 part failed in my transmission with NO warning what so ever and Volvo won't do a thing about it. Bummer

Volvo also claimed there aren't any transmission issues on the S80 T6's. Turns out if you search Volvo forums you see plenty of issues. Oh well it is what it is.

I still love my car. I'm into it for more than it's worth and I'm stuck with it.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 AM

My friends, Unless you know how to/or want to row a manual gear box then you will always have problems with a mechanical device that does the work for you.........
Schitz on these American market cars! The European market autos are offered with a manual option. Why is this you might ask? Because in Europe they don't/cant afford to just throw away their car when it breaks. A $3500 repair is ridiculous!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM

I had mine (2000 S80) in about 2 weeks ago for a tranny filter change since I did not know if it had ever been done and for $100 it wasn't worth wondering about. Took it to AAMCO. I asked about replacement for if/when the time comes and they said it's pretty standard change - $2300 at most - probably more like 1700-1900.

I would have loved a manual option...