Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Display: Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display: Low Oil Pressure

I just purchased a 1999 Volvo S80 and it had the low oil pressure light coming on when I purchased it. The person I bought it from told me that it's been happening for a while but that it was nothing. It happens at 700 RPM during idle time. It goes on and when I give it gas it turns off.... This is my first Volvo ever. I brought the car to a well know garage that works on Volvos and they said the o ring kit needs to be replaced after speaking with the nearest Volvo dealer. It will be costly - approximately $400($49/hr. labor rate) I have the service history of the car (rec'd this after I purchased the vehicle) and the o-ring kit was replaced at 87k. The Volvo dealer is telling me that being that the message comes up at such a low RPM that he is not as concerned if it was at a higher RPM. Also, having to replace 60K later isn't out of the norm. Should I be concerned or should I feel confident that the o-ring is the problem?

I also have a continue clunking noise since changing the sway bar links. My garage is susupecting it is the upper motor mount. It sounds like a grinding noise when I put the car from P to R and then into D. Also the swaybar link with the rubber bushings is causing the noise they are saying becuase whenever I hit a dip or bump in the road it makes krrr or like something rubbing against metal noise.

Any ideas, am I going down the right path. Do these items sound like they are the culprits and if replaced will fix these issues. I really love driving this car but don't want it if I'm going to have to sink tons of money into it.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Display: Low Oil Pressure

First have the oil pressure checked and see how it is.

Have the upper engine mount checked for the P to D,R problem.

For the noise over bumps check the upper spring seats.Get a 13/16 wrench and try spinning the nut on the top of the strut under the hood.If it spins freely it is bad.If it doesn't turn and feels rubbery then it is good.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me. I did forget to mention that the garage checked the oil pressure. The oil pressure at 700 rpm's is at 10 and the garage is saying it should be between 15-20.

It sounds like the garage I was going to was on the right track based on what you've told me. I'm actually going to the volvo dealership today to have my srs light reset since xm radio was installed (we believe it triggered the light to come on). I'll tell them to check those other items you mentioned-upper spring seats and the upper motor mount too.

Thanks.....

Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Let me know how it goes.