Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Electronic Trunk Latch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Trunk Latch Replacement

Hey folks. Did a search hoping to find a previous thread to answer my question…but I couldn't find one.

I have a 2008 S80…and the electronic trunk latch (the latch that you press up on lightly to open the trunk) crapped out on me about a week ago. I ordered the replacement part (got it today)…and now I'm in the process of installing it.

The part is the one that includes the electronic switch, the license plate lights, manual key hole, etc. Overall length of the part is approx. 34-36". For anyone interested…it's Volvo part # 31276258. Looks like this:

Anyways…the 4 torx head screws that hold the part in the trunk lid come out just fine. The problems is, there's a plastic chrome trim piece that runs the width of the trunk lid that is kind of sandwiched in with the replacement electronic trunk latch part that I'm replacing. This chrome piece needs to be removed before I can do the part replacement.

I "gingerly" tried to pop-off the chrome trim piece with a plastic flat-edged pry tool I have…but it didn't seem to be budging. I haven't taken this part off before…so I wasn't 100% sure how it is attached. Thus I didn't want to use too much force just in case it is attached in an unusual way…and I end up snapping off a piece of the chrome trim piece.

The chrome trim piece looks like this (on the trunk lid):

So…does anyone know:

1. How to carefully remove this plastic chrome trim piece that runs the full width of the trunk lid?
2. Anyone have a full procedure/steps on how to replace the electronic trunk latch (just in case there are any possible "watch-outs")?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:37 PM

So I've been doing some additonal research on this (and found via another source) that the trim piece I'm concerned with on the trunk lid is either partially or fully glued/adhered to the trunk lid.

And that officially...this chrome trim piece is supposed to be replaced (another approx. $90 bucks) when the electronic trunk handle is replaced. But folks mentined that if the chrome trim piece is removed carefully...it can be reused & reattached using double sided tape.

Can anyone confirm this...or add any additional thoughts/helpful tips to the removal procedure?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2014, 11:47 PM

Well...I just found something else (below)...on the internet of course!lol

It's some sort of "Technical Service Bulletin" for replacing the trunk lid handle assembly. It also mentions that the chrome trim piece needs to be replaced along with the non-functioning lid handle assy. The document also mentions the use of a "heat gun bone tool" to assist in removing the chrome trim.

Volvo Workshop Manuals > S80 L6-3.2L VIN 98 B6324S (2007) > Body and Frame > Doors, Hood and Trunk > Trunk / Liftgate > Power Trunk / Liftgate Lock Switch > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > Customer Interest: > TNN83-41 > Aug > 0

If anyone has anything to add...please do.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 AM

Trunk Latch Replacement is necessary if the trunk latch of your car stops opening the trunk. Just see the forum link here How To: Change trunk wiring harness on S40 to get some in formation regarding Trunk Latch Replacement

Old 09-17-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Andrea Bichael
Trunk Latch Replacement is necessary if the trunk latch of your car stops opening the trunk. Just see the forum link here How To: Change trunk wiring harness on S40 to get some in formation regarding Trunk Latch Replacement
Thanks for trying…but the the link in your post is not related to my issue. In my case…the mechanical trunk latch works fine…it's the electronic switch assembly on the trunk lid that is broken & I've already gotten the replacement part for (and have already replaced).

The main issue in my situation was how to remove the chrome trim piece on the trunk lid. As I found & posted earlier in the thread…the chrome trim piece is held on with double stick tape…and needs to be softened with a heat gun/hair dryer.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:47 PM

The unit just pops open from the body-colored unit. It needs a bit of prying but it won't break. Try it from the middle where the micro switch is located (handle) and make your way out. I just did it today and everything went back to normal. I am a happy Volvoer!