Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Engine System Service Urgent

Old 01-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Default Engine System Service Urgent

I own a 2000 S80 2.9 with 102K miles on the odometer. About two weeks ago I was required to take my car in for its bi-annual emissions testing as ordered by the "Great State of Illinois". We'll right after leaving the test site, the infamous "Engine System Service Urgent" message pops up. I immediately stopped the car and turn off the engine. When I restarted, the message went away. Now it appears about every third or fourth day. A engine restart clears this message everytime. Just on a whim I took the car into my local Firestone service center (yes I know its not a Volvo dealership, but an engine diagnostic is only $29.99) to have them do any oil change and engine diagnostic. They reported no problems. The car runs fine, no vibrations, backfires, or revving. My question is, how concerned should I be about this message. My experience with my dealership is that I can't even bring the car in for an oil change without them finding at least $400.00 worth of "problems and recommended fixes"for the car, so I don't want them to even get near the car unless ABSOLUTELY, neccessary. Any ideas on things I could check (or have checked at a cheaper than dealership price) to identify the cause of this intermitted message.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Default RE: Engine System Service Urgent

you know my car did the same thing the day after I bought it. All the dealer did was replace the air mass sensor, it was pricey but it was under warranty. Try cleaning the that sensor in the intake box, replace your air filter, who knows it may be something simple like that.