Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Front Shockes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Shockes

Hell Everyone!
I am new to the Volvo Community, and of course this forum.

I recently bought a 99 S80 2.9 with 185K on it. The front shocks are shot, I called the local shop and the quoted me 682.00 to change them. This pretty standard?
My uncle has the spring compressor, would it be worth while to change them myself? Does it require a front end alignment to change them? THANKS!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by jared..mann
Hell Everyone!
I am new to the Volvo Community, and of course this forum.

I recently bought a 99 S80 2.9 with 185K on it. The front shocks are shot, I called the local shop and the quoted me 682.00 to change them. This pretty standard?
My uncle has the spring compressor, would it be worth while to change them myself? Does it require a front end alignment to change them? THANKS!
An alignment will likely be required.
You should price out the parts including new spring seats since they are notoriously bad on these cars. There are likely some other worn parts you would want to take care of at the same time.
I had a lot of front end parts replaced including struts and an alignment for about 1200. I may have been able to do it myself but wasn't comfortable working with a spring compressor and by the time I added up all the parts + having to pay for a full alignment anyway, the balance of labor $ didn't seem worth my time/effort factoring in all the bad things that can happen with a spring compressor if you don't (or even if you do) know what you are doing.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 PM

I have done this- several times on the same car! Learn from my mistakes (and others) and heed this advice- Volvo OEM front end parts last about 100k miles. After that, your going to be replacing them either all at once, or bit by bit as each gives up the ghost. I tried bit by bit- but have had to tear it down so many times now due to crappy replacement parts, I can now do it in my sleep!

So, my word of advice is this- if your replacing the struts, you likely need new spring seats (aka lower strut mount- the "rubber' parts), and you MAY need the upper strut mounts (strut bearings). Do them all at once and be done with it. Either buy a full OEM kit from FCP Euro, or buy the struts you want (wherever) and buy OEM Volvo Strut mounts (upper and lower) from FCP. the OEM struts are Sachs, and should be good for another 100k.

I am happy with Monroe OE Spectrum struts- less $$$ and lifetime warranty from a local auto parts store. I got my spring seats from FCP (OEM Volvo).

As to whether you can do this job or not, I would say its not really that hard- you can get a loaner spring compressor if you need one from most auto parts stores. But I would hate to do this without all the proper tools, including a 1/2" drive air impact, a good floor jack and quality jack stands.

As for alignment- I know folks might disagree with me, but about the only thing to set after replacing these parts is the toe. The upper and lower strut mounting points are not normally adjustable unless someone has installed a kit to allow for adjustments. this is not normally done unless the car has been in a wreck and needs a bit of fine tuning. You can get about a half degree to one degree + or - camber by pushing the knuckle in or letting it fall "out" when tightening the two lower strut mount bolts.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM

Wow thanks guys!!! I'll let you know how it goes