Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Gas leak in the engine bay - Leak found

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas leak in the engine bay - Leak found

ORIGINAL: Ricardo12

I have a 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 with 90,000 + miles and lately I have noticed gas fumes from time to time with in the last year. I have looked various places but have not been able to find any fuel leaks. I have not removed the rear seat and looked under it. The odder seems to be strongest near the right rear side on the car after it is parked in our enclosedgarage. I have not noticed the odder when the car is moving,parked out in the open or when I am inside the car. I looked up under the right rear wheel well and there is a canister of sort with what appears to have a pipe coming out of one endwith nothing attachedto it.
I recently changed the spark plus and Ihave noticed that in the morning it takes a little longer to start. If I turn on the ignition switch and wait a second or two it will start faster than trying to start it immediately.
I am interested in knowing what you find and where I can look. Thenhow to fix the problem.
Hmmm... looks like S80s have a ghost in the fuel system (but on the contrary, fuel leaks are not common on S80s from what I have heard). Will post my results step-by-step in detail. A lot of ppl can use this thread.

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM

1999 S80 Volvo
I did some searching today and foundthere is a leak coming from the top of the fuel tank. There isfuel seeping down the outside of the tank. I could notsee the where the leak starts. Just the trail.
I tried removing the rear seat bottom and back but could not get them loose. Anyone know how to remove them?
I was able to move the back of the seat enough to see a round cover plate about 6 or 7 inches in diameter right over the area of where I think the leak is but I can not get to it with out removing the seat. I think by removing the seat back only it would allow me to get to the cover plate without removing the seat bottom.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Ricardo12

1999 S80 Volvo
I did some searching today and foundthere is a leak coming from the top of the fuel tank. There isfuel seeping down the outside of the tank. I could notsee the where the leak starts. Just the trail.
I tried removing the rear seat bottom and back but could not get them loose. Anyone know how to remove them?
I was able to move the back of the seat enough to see a round cover plate about 6 or 7 inches in diameter right over the area of where I think the leak is but I can not get to it with out removing the seat. I think by removing the seat back only it would allow me to get to the cover plate without removing the seat bottom.
Good that you found the leak. Attached are a couple of pictures that might help you with the rear seat.Are the circular ones in the pictures the cover plates you are talking about?

Please keep us posted on ur fix. Thanks.
1999S80T6

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/C7CEA7860B53432BA6CC3E867602E60A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/38F6D813DF1747819F70FC5FEB78C5CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 AM

Yes the circular one on the passenger side isthe one I see. I did not know there are two.
The problem I am having is I can not get the seatorside cushion out. If I could get the side cushion removed I think I can get the seat back cushion out.
The first picture has'Remove the right side cushion. See Side Cushion.' If you could sendthat it might help me to remove the side cushion.
Is there a trick to getting the seat cushion out? I tried several hours yesterday to remove it and can't.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is a pain there is actually tabs you have to release while moving it upwards.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:53 PM

I tried again today several times to remove the rear seat bottom cushion by pushing down, back and then up but I can not get it out. I can get a finger in to feel the place where it catches so I think I am pushing in the right area. I also tried the side cushions and I see one release near the center and think there's one at the bottom but can not get to that one with the seat bottom in.
If you could give a more detailed information about removing the bottom seat I would appreciate it.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Ricardo -

Sorry I was at work and couldn't give you the info on time. Attached are 3rd of 4 pages of the document and also the 'See Side Cushion' page.
As Tech suggested, you will have to push it up I guess. Let me know if you need anything else.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/8644381341184A149E493C6FF99FFE5C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/71ADE2986BE54623A52C32AA5D55F091.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the information. I will try to remove the side cushion tomorrow.
I have tried for two days to get the rear bottom seat cushion out and can not get it out. Do you have anything suggestions about getting it out?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM

I don't have any idea about the seats; try these two pictures. Let us know how you worked it out.
Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/6CEE06C7418B47E08644FB19D3E1CBC5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/F641E14C5EDC4DA29D2399B7E76E1D56.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I will try to get the cushions out this afternoon.
I have just about given up on trying to remove them. If I can not get them out I guess I'll have to go to the dealer.
One dealer has quoted $700 to repair plus the parts needed. Another dealer is at $930 dollars to replace fuel pumpand sender. Both quotes are with the information Igave them without their seeing the car.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Surprise! Surprise! I got the seat bottom out. It took two of us pulling straight up to get it up. You need to pull up on both sides of where the clip is located in the diagrams you sent. Again thank you for the diagrams. No pushing down or back just pull or yank straight up. You would think that you are going to bend or break something.
I'll try to get the side and back cushions out tomorrow. I'll continue informing with my findings as I get to the leak.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Default RE: Gas leak in the engine bay - Delivery Pipe

Some background - I took the car to the dealer to check on what I suspected as an engine oil leak (apart from the fuel leak I have) and he said it's not the engine oil that is leaking, it's the fuel leak at the point where the DELIVERY PIPE MEETS THE FUEL RAIL. I suspected an engine oil leak too because the oil that is leaking is viscous, not like gasoline; but the dealer says there is no engine oil leak. {3 weeks ago, the dealer removed the engine oil pan and cleaned it}.

So he ordered a new delivery pipe for $44 with is going to be delivered and fixed on Monday (10/29/2007).

Question:

How difficult is it to fix the delivery pipe myself? Do I have to remove too many other parts to access the delivery pipe? Or do I have to leave this work to the dealer ($270)?
Where is the delivery pipe located?
Attached is a pic of parts for the fuel delivery pipes. Is the circled one the delivery pipe that is leaking?

Any tips and cautions to replace this, other than draining the fuel system?

Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/A58DC10D482F4BA78B8F7607848488C0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Administrator

If that is the one it is easy to replace. But you will need a special tool to remove the line.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

If that is the one it is easy to replace. But you will need a special tool to remove the line.
What is that special tool called? Will it be available in Kragen, AutoZone or something? Thanks Tech.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

There is a set of fuel line release tools kind of like the A/C line tools that you will need.
I forget exactly which size it is that you will need.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/7881.jpg
A set like that.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:16 PM

I finally got the seat out and can see the top of the fuel pump which has gasoline on it. I have been wiping itclean and will try to locate exactly where the gas leakis after I have everything clean and dry. I think it is leaking aroundthe discharge line coming out of the fuel pump. It might be the fitting where the discharge hose attaches.
There are twoplastic 90 degree tubescoming out of thepump. One is for the return line and the other is the discharge line. There is a fitting between the discharge fuel hose, that appears to connect the fuel hose and the plastic line coming out ofthe fuel pump. I think the leak is in that area.
I can not tell if the hose and the connection is one part or if the connection and the fuel pump are one piece or if it is three separate parts. (Hose, Connector, Fuel Pump)
Does anyone know or have a diagram showing the connections from the fuel pump to the hoses?
If it is leaking in that area any ideas with how to fix it?

Old 10-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Looking at it the line on the left is the one that usually cracks.
Or the round thing cracks and leaks fuel(Regulator)

Old 10-27-2007, 09:22 PM

The discharge line is the one on the left. That is where I think the fuel leaking is coming from. Tomorrow I hope to know exactly where the leak is located.
I do not know what you are referring to as the round thing. The line on the left goes away from the pump and downunderneath. There is a round thing that both of the fuel lines go into on top of the fuel pump.
I tooka digital picture of the pump but the file is to large to upload.If there is another way to send it let me know how.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

You can upload it to a site then insert the link and it will post.
Or if you want I can PM you my E-mail address and you can send it to me and I will post it for you.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:33 PM

I found the leak. It is on the plastic part of the return line just before it goes into the round thing on top of the fuel pump.
I reset the camera settings and was able to upload the picture and I have the 'embed picture in post' checked but I do not know where it is. Maybe it will show up when I send this note. If the picture showsthe leak is to the right of my finger betweenthe black connector and the round thing with the + in the center. There it is a small crack just below the round part of the +.
Now I have to decide if I want to do the repairs or tow it to the dealer.
After studying the fuel tank pictures it appears that the fuel pump innards are also attached to the bottom of the level sensor on the drivers side of the tank and the sensorwill need to be removed.
Does anyone know where I can find detailed instructions about replacing the fuel pump?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12851/781F2B35868244FCB52439E72B686135.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Gas leak in the engine bay - Leak found