Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

A head Scratcher once more...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A head Scratcher once more...

Now I am having problems with my power steering. When I was having my problem with the tie-rods and beering, I was getting a Power Steering Service Required message and I thought that it would go away once I had the tie-rods and bearing replaced, but it is still on. I checked the fluids and I found out that I needed some. So I went and got some Valvoline Power Steering Fluid and put some in, but the message still there. Then today, I heard a noise coming from the steering wheel on the way to work . It kinda sounds like something needs to be greased or someone trying to play a french horn for the first time and cannot really sustain a note, but it only sounds like that when I move the steering wheel to the left and back to center. I have not had a chance to do the test that my dad and I did which was this...

ORIGINAL: elmo_allen

Well my Dad drove it around the block and when he came back to the house he had me try something. With the car running on a flat street, he told me to put a couple of fingers on the center tip of the sidewall near the top of the tire on the driver's side and see what I felt. When he moved the wheel back an forth and I felt the tire pushing in and out against my fingers. There was a noise too that sounds like a soft thump like it is hitting against something. He told me to check the other side and it was the exact same thing. He said that it is possible that it could be the steering arm but my boyfriend is swearing up and down that it is a tie-rod... Next week I am taking it to a shop and see what they say but right now I am just baffled beyond belief.

I did not think about checking it that way for the barrings. Tomorrow I will try that and see what happens.
Oh I also looked at the pictures on this site about the power steering reservoir and the reservoiur is good. What else could this possibly be?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: A head Scratcher once more...

Did the shop loosen the subframe at all when they installed the new parts you had done?

The power steering message might not be to much. They had so many problems with those style racks they don't even sell them anymore.
The Dealer installs a newer better one and does a software download and make the light go away for ever!

Best I can say is if you can fix the noise and the rack still works fine leave it alone for now.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the quick response Tech!

I honestly don't know if they loosened the subframe or not. I can call them and ask though. Do you think my subframe connection is loose?

Do you know how much a the software download and rack cost?

Also how can I check and see if my style rack is bad?

Thanks again!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator

If they loosened the subframe the bushing in the firewall where the shaft goes through might have popped out.

If the rack was bad it might be hard to steer or do really wacky things of leak really bad. If you get the codes cleared they might not come back.

I think it is close to 1k for the new rack installed and software. You might want to call and double check.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:45 PM

Oh that's more than I thought... I will have to call them to see if I can get bumper to bumper inspection again to see what else is wrong with it. As well as getting all of the codes checked.

Thanks again Tech!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

No problem let me know how you make out.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Will do!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: tech
The power steering message might not be to much. They had so many problems with those style racks they don't even sell them anymore.
The Dealer installs a newer better one and does a software download and make the light go away for ever!
I was thinking about this tonight and I was wondering... if I cannot see this error anymore and something goes wrong related to the power steering, will a different error message come up or will I just have to guess what is wrong and / or take it to the dealer?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Administrator

If something happens with the steering rack you will feel it when you drive.
That setup that throws the codes doesn't do much but sence steering movement ETC. It isn't really anything major.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 PM

I had my rack and pinion system replaced, and it cost me around 1200 with labor. Just an estimate on a price for a new one. Hope its of help.

Breandan

Old 12-10-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanks to you both. Just out of curiosity what would it feel like? I did not hear anything coming from the steering today... so I think it was making noise because of the fluctuation of Temperatures here in Indiana. I guess my car did not like it. On Sunday our low was 8F and yesterday it was 50F for our high and today we are only going to get to about 35F or so for our high. So do you all think this is what is happening? Oh and the Power Steering Service Required message was gone when I started the car today and has not come back on.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

It is possible.